BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
@ Dougal.

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide the link. No hope for me to have treatment then in my part of the world.

I come into the category of having come from Northern Europe but many generations ago. I take issue with
the description of Dupuyren's progress as being slow because it took only 2/3 months for my ring and little fingers
to become quite seriously affected although not locked into permanent position. The condition, whilst not
seriously painful it is very uncomfortable as the joint gives way to allow the fingers to straighten. Furthermore,
the strength of the grip appears to have lessened and I have to be careful when carrying a mug of tea for example.
Finally, the right hand is now also showing signs of tightening, especially at night.

Once more, my gratitude,

Rob

Dougal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The serum is now in the final procedures for acceptance by NICE. Just as well, I am in desperate need!

Please go to the NICE website, and search on this: Dupuytren's contracture - collagenase clostridium histolyticum [ID621]

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i have had operations on 5 fingers ( index,middle,ring) on my left and middle and ring on my right.
recently steroid injection pinky of left.

have suffered with frozen shoulder in the past but currently pain free at the mo:)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@himtoo

How did the operations on your hands/fingers go? Were they painful? What are the results like?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @daisy1
this is a story that evolved over time-- first finger to develop symptoms was middle finger of my left hand ( left handed) -- this was back in 1973 not long after my diabetes was diagnosed. at the time i was 15 and it was a great party trick to have my finger lock.
it was operated on when i was 29 as it was completely locked in fist position all the time.
the other 4 fingers have been at intervals of between 4 to 6 years as the symptoms have started to develop.
i have had steroid injections on most of them to ease the pain prior to being operated on.

as for pain afterwards -- not really a lot -- always back in work the day after surgery ( desk job)

all 5 have been successful -- no recurring symptoms - however the last operation on my left index they must have slightly damaged the nerve as i have a faint feeling like pins and needles in the finger or just a bit of numbness. -- you do sign a disclaimer stating this can happen though.
my palms are a bit lumpy but not too bad and i do rub cream into them to keep the skin soft

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@himtoo

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I need to know this for the future:( That's bad luck to have it in so many fingers. So far I've only got bending in one although have been diagnosed with it in two fingers - one on each hand.

Reactions: 3 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@himtoo

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I need to know this for the future:( That's bad luck to have it in so many fingers. So far I've only got bending in one although have been diagnosed with it in two fingers - one on each hand.
Hi @daisy1
can the one bending in have a steroid injection ?? they are not pleasant but after a few days the finger loosens right up and is free moving again -- the injections tend to last for about 6-9 months. i have found them beneficial

oh yes -- the operations are done with a local not a general -- but you are usually at the front of the queue because of the diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello. I have Dupuytren's Contracture in both hands and quite server on my right hand little finger. It will be operated on in the next few months. It is apparently quite common in diabetics. I have a painful right shoulder that with daily exercise I prevent freezing. The consultant stated that the same thickening substance that forms in the fingers also forms in the shoulder joints. Just for interest and do any of you other posters have or had problems with a frozen shoulder?

Hi, yes both my shoulders. First the left one, about 11 or 12 years ago and about 2 years ago, the right one. It also affects the right side of my back( underneath the shoulder blade) and I now have one shoulder slightly lower than the other.one !! I had physio and a cortisone injection on the left one, and that was painful.
Sorry to hear you are all suffering from Dupuytren's Contracture :(

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 3 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi @daisy1
can the one bending in have a steroid injection ?? they are not pleasant but after a few days the finger loosens right up and is free moving again -- the injections tend to last for about 6-9 months. i have found them beneficial

oh yes -- the operations are done with a local not a general -- but you are usually at the front of the queue because of the diabetes

@himtoo

That's good to know. Mine isn't bad enough to need the injection yet but I will bear it in mind.