Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
It's bad getting worse..

A big part of the Dutch Lantus users will have to switch to Abasaglar. Assurance company VGZ has decided this because Abasaglar is cheaper. So far the health advantages when privatising national health schemes.
The measure will apply to new patients only in the beginning but VGZ is considering to also force existing Lantis users, like me, to switch to Abasaglar.

Does anybody have experience using Abasaglar?

And another question crossing my mind:
Lantus was rumoured to increase the possibility of getting cancer. Is there any info on this regarding Abasaglar?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Abasaglar is a generic version of Glargine, now that the Patent has expired. If you're a Lantus user, you should see no difference.

Reactions: 2 people

spats

The scare of LANTUS AND CANCER crops up frequently. NO lantus does not initiate cancer. What has happened is, as in my case, metformin is stopped during the process of going on to insulin for type 2 (my choice- not always advised). I developed a palpable breast lump in my left breast within a couple of months. Post surgery I was offered, among others, METFORMIN - which had obviously been suppressing the cancer. Some you win - others you don't!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have heard that Absaglar is a biosimilar version of Lantus. Can anyone explain what biosimilar means ?

Last edited by a moderator:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
It means that the original is out of protection so they copied it !(legally)