Dvla 3 year medical form

chard

Hi
I have a terrible memory. Do I have to send my driving licence back with the 3 year medical forms? it says i do on the envelope but it may be a genral envelope covering all issues.My licence runs out in August

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi
I have a terrible memory. Do I have to send my driving licence back with the 3 year medical forms? it says i do on the envelope but it may be a genral envelope covering all issues.My licence runs out in August

Yes @chard, you normally send it back and it will be cancelled, any innapropriate vehicle groups will be removed before they issue a new one.

Why does it expire in August?

chard

Yes @chard, you normally send it back and it will be cancelled, any innapropriate vehicle groups will be removed before they issue a new one.

Why does it expire in August?
My licence lasts for 3 years at a time so i have to fill in all the diabetes and eyesight forms then hoping theyll give me another three years

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
My licence lasts for 3 years at a time so i have to fill in all the diabetes and eyesight forms then hoping theyll give me another three years

Ok, didn't realise that you are already on a restricted licence, thought it might be your first time, and that it might be expiring for a different reason.

chard

Thanks Urbanracer, its a pain having to send licence back i might ring the DVLA and see if its really necessary . Im often asked to produce my licence at work or if i need a form of id as i dont have a passport at the moment

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They will still issue a new one (providing u pass all their questions of u don't send the old one in).
I a few years ago now, moved address and forgot to inform the dvla - it was only when I looked at my license (which is very rare) that I realised I had been driving with a license that expired 3 months before.
I rang the dvla they sent me the new docs (but I never sent my license in) they still re-newed it. This was however about 7 years ago so maybe just ring up and double check

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
yes , in my case my 3 year medical dvla licence was due for renewal march 2016, I too got a letter demanding my driving licence to be returned December 2015 in my case I didn't have a car,?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't still have the letter from my last renewal but there was a box on the form that you could tick that said something like 'I am retaining my current licence as it has less than 3 months to run'.

I had the letter and sent off the application in January for my licence which expired in March. The new licence arrived the next week (wow!) and I've shredded the now-expired one.

I've never sent a licence back.

:)

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
Mine expires in July and I've just sent the .forms back. But mine was not restricted because of diabetes but for another illness. I was initially on a one year one then last time they increased it to three years

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my last set of forms said I could keep the current one as it ran out in less than 3 months

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
The hospital consultant said to me quite clearly, YOU DO NOT HAVE GLAUCOMA. Three years later & many regular eye exams still taking eye drops for Occular Hypertension.
DVLA wrote to me recently "About your Glaucoma?" wanting details which I supplied as requested.
Next request was a demand for my D/L & issuing a three year D/L instead.
Their reason Occular Hypertension. ! Not in itself a reason to restrict a D/L I thought.?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi
If you look at the forms it gives options for retaining the licence if less than 3 months to run (I think) lost or defaced. So as it runs out in August hang on to it if you want to.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The hospital consultant said to me quite clearly, YOU DO NOT HAVE GLAUCOMA. Three years later & many regular eye exams still taking eye drops for Occular Hypertension.
DVLA wrote to me recently "About your Glaucoma?" wanting details which I supplied as requested.
Next request was a demand for my D/L & issuing a three year D/L instead.
Their reason Occular Hypertension. ! Not in itself a reason to restrict a D/L I thought.?

Send this http://www.glaucoma-association.com...-hypertension/driving-and-ocular-hypertension with a covering letter asking why your licence has been restricted

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
I will do that, thank you.