DVLA and HGV

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
See the dvla have my car licence at the moment renewing it and I've not had any issues as I drive vans for agencies. I just explain it's being renewed and the and they can phone the agency for a photocopy.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
How would the DVLA look at a hypo of less than 3? ... I wolk up this morning with a sugar level of 2.7. I went to bed with a level of 9 do obviously my background needs to be reduced. I think it's down to me being back in the gym again. Are they willing to accept hypos like this if you know how and why it happened? I was able to treat it myself so surely anything under 4 will be looked at the same way?

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Raybo

Had the news today that despite them asking me to reapply that they are still refusing my licence based on me not meeting their criteria. Its an absolute joke as they were the ones to ask me to re apply. Could you give me some advise regarding the process of taking them to Court. What solicitor did you use? Was it one who dealt with cases like this regularly? Any advise would be most appreciated as I plan to take this further. Thanks Helen

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Minnie why are they saying you don't meet the criteria?

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kerr1992

Its all a bit long and complicated. Theres another section on here which may explain it better under Action for Diabetic Drivers. However It is because I had two night time hypo's in June 2014 which I required some assistance to treat. My blood glucose levels are usually well controlled and my hba1c is perfect. I have full hypo awareness and usually know I'm having a hypo around 4.0-3.8mmols. Ive never had a hypo whilst driving and always check before getting behind the wheel. These two rare hypos occurred in the summer when the weather got hot and was under a lot of stress at work. Consultant reviewed me afterwards and felt I was safe to continue driving. Reapplied in October and put on form about this hypos with a covering letter. Which came back as rejected. I wrote several letters to them, diabetes uk, MP, MEP's etc and was asked to reapply following support from my Consultant. My Consultant provided them with good support and they have said today that I don't meet the criteria due to the hypos! It seems ridculous because why ask me to reapply knowing this anyway! It's all a bit frustrating and seems like a waste of both the Consultants time, my time and theirs also. Hope that sums it up in a nut shell! Helen.

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
Ahh ok. Seems like a bit of "can't tick that box sorry"

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Certainly does. Unfortunately the directive should be followed as guidance and not law or so I've been informed. So I'm hoping with a bit of political support to push it as far as I can even if it means a no for my own licence still. Surely something has to change somewhere!

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
It's rediculous because how do they expect someone to hold down a job if they do this!

Reactions: 2 people

denbo

Rang the DVLA last fri to send me renewal for my hgv licence as I av been to c my consultant today and needed a form to give him to fill in forms came tues only a firm for my gp and the usual firm you fill in for ya licence and to send a photo so I rang them when I got bk from seein my consultant who by the way was very pleased with me told the DVLA that I'd been and as no firm for him to fill in they sed we don't send them firms out til feb well I'm hopin I ain't got go agen so he can fill em in I think they shud just except the consultant s report o well will av to see as got til April but I'm sendin things off now as it takes the DVLA ages think bout it

denbo

Rang the DVLA last fri to send me renewal for my hgv licence as I av been to c my consultant today and needed a form to give him to fill in forms came tues only a firm for my gp and the usual firm you fill in for ya licence and to send a photo so I rang them when I got bk from seein my consultant who by the way was very pleased with me told the DVLA that I'd been and as no firm for him to fill in they sed we don't send them firms out til feb well I'm hopin I ain't got go agen so he can fill em in I think they shud just except the consultant s report o well will av to see as got til April but I'm sendin things off now as it takes the DVLA ages think bout it
As I've always said the DVLA work backwards it's common sence knowin a diabetic on insulin who as to renew their licence every 12mths is sen everythin out so that professionals can fill forms in isn't it logic but no the don't work like tha that's why it takes em ages do and send things needs a good shuffle up there

alan rm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
New boy to the block. My licence (c class) was revoked in December, also in the post the same day a kit to test for bowel cancer arrived....welcome to the sixties. Applied for renewal in May 2014, eventually advised by DVLA not to drive Mini-Bus in August (fine to drive own car) which made things at work difficult. Reason for December decision was due to the input from independent report from a medical ( in September) which found I missed THREE readings, close to Bank Holiday weekend when I was not driving and not working. I had gone to bed late,.... late and got up well, late. Recorded readings on old meter... very high Work are being supportive, offering re-deployment and seen/ spoken to by works health team. Been a good Christmas with that hanging over the head. The works doctors are making an appeal. Tomorrow(Wednesday) crunch day as head of HR and a few managers meet with me to decide my fate. My nurse is very Supportive, passing on words of wisdom. My meter, if I call the firm maker, supply a lead enabling to connect meter to computer to download readings which go back well over a year. This information may already be on the forum, so forgive my ignorance. Just thought a deserved a little rant Regards Alan

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just seen the above, how has Raybo got on does anyone know.
Hope that stick was good and sharpe. I think the dvla should pay his lose of earnings.

denbo

New boy to the block. My licence (c class) was revoked in December, also in the post the same day a kit to test for bowel cancer arrived....welcome to the sixties. Applied for renewal in May 2014, eventually advised by DVLA not to drive Mini-Bus in August (fine to drive own car) which made things at work difficult. Reason for December decision was due to the input from independent report from a medical ( in September) which found I missed THREE readings, close to Bank Holiday weekend when I was not driving and not working. I had gone to bed late,.... late and got up well, late. Recorded readings on old meter... very high Work are being supportive, offering re-deployment and seen/ spoken to by works health team. Been a good Christmas with that hanging over the head. The works doctors are making an appeal. Tomorrow(Wednesday) crunch day as head of HR and a few managers meet with me to decide my fate. My nurse is very Supportive, passing on words of wisdom. My meter, if I call the firm maker, supply a lead enabling to connect meter to computer to download readings which go back well over a year. This information may already be on the forum, so forgive my ignorance. Just thought a deserved a little rant Regards Alan
The contour Bayer are very good I use one and av to av mine checked by DVLA independant consultant another thing that the DVLA av bought in dint seem to trust our own consultants

alan rm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The contour Bayer are very good I use one and av to av mine checked by DVLA independant consultant another thing that the DVLA av bought in dint seem to trust our own consultants
I use a 'i-Sens' which has been okay. Advised to change due to the cost of the strips for the Accu-Chek Aviva only have a tub left of them. Tend to stock pile meds, to a certain degree. Pharmacist started giving me extra strips over a year ago as Doctors wanted more readings taken. Just to be sure weekdays I take my blood four times a day and at least twice a day weekends.
Regards
Alan

denbo

I use a 'i-Sens' which has been okay. Advised to change due to the cost of the strips for the Accu-Chek Aviva only have a tub left of them. Tend to stock pile meds, to a certain degree. Pharmacist started giving me extra strips over a year ago as Doctors wanted more readings taken. Just to be sure weekdays I take my blood four times a day and at least twice a day weekends.
Regards
Alan
Well docs can't complain cus this is wha us on insulin av to b doin testin our bloods every 2hrs whilst drivin

denbo

Started my renewal April just got me hgv bk again for 12 mths again after seeing their DVLA consultant it took 2weeks to cum back as I emailed Oliver Morley, CEO of DVLA, to say last yr it took 7 weeks to cum bk so wether he shifted it quicker I don't know but I'm not complaining

Trucker tone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem. I have had my Group 2 licence revoked but am fighting the decision because all the criteria they assess you on relates to hypoglycaemia and I do not have low numbers as I am hyper. The only reason that put down for revoking was they said I didn't have 3 months readings which was completely untrue. I contested the decision in ~August and am still waiting. I've lost 12 months work because of this but they don't care.
Hi I had the same problem they revoked my this time last year , pleased to say that they have returned it this week , my situation was exactly the same as yours

Trucker tone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem is now , I have my Hgv licence back but I just not interested in doing the job, but at the end of the day I need to earn