DVLA and hypos

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mamma Mia..........31mmol is way too low and will account for the below 4mmol bg readings which is the reason for your GP to notify the DVLA, not because you have lost your awareness but will be in danger of doing so unless you mend your ways. Who recommended you to aim for a low hba1c?
That's an HbA1c measurement of 31 not a BG reading . Ive just looked it up on the NHS 50 shades table and this value is associated with someone with an average of 5.4 mmol/L BG reading (for 8-12 weeks)

The NHS leaflet I have lists 22-42 as a result in someone without diabetes and 42-53 mmol/mol for someone with diabetes (notice the word "mol" not "L" on the end.) It was checked 3 times as the hospital thought their meter may have been faulty

iHs

That's an HbA1c measurement of 31 not a BG reading . Ive just looked it up on the NHS 50 shades table and this value is associated with someone with an average of 5.4 mmol/L BG reading (for 8-12 weeks)

The NHS leaflet I have lists 22-42 as a result in someone without diabetes and 42-53 mmol/mol for someone with diabetes (notice the word "mol" not "L" on the end.) It was checked 3 times as the hospital thought their meter may have been faulty

My recent hba1c was 51mmol which is around an average of about 6.7% which is looked upon as being ok so your 31mmol may seem ok to you but unfortunately is going to put you at risk of not being able to recognise the symptoms of the hypo feeling until your bg drops down to under 3mmol which happens over time although it probably hasn't occurred just yet.

I would ask for a referral to see a hospital consultant regarding an ideal hba1c for you to achieve and possibly make a case for getting an insulin pump funded.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
They can't restrict test strips for type 1's, have a look at the following from the Dept of Health, it was a letter sent to all gp surgeries in 2013:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

It would be helpful to know if you've told your gp that your hypo unaware at any point.
In a way it does not matter what my views on meters and causes of readings below 4.0 are. This stuff is only relevant prior to driving (within the next few minutes) and not stuck in the house as they wont give me my licence back.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My recent hba1c was 51mmol which is around an average of about 6.7% which is looked upon as being ok so your 31mmol may seem ok to you but unfortunately is going to put you at risk of not being able to recognise the symptoms of the hypo feeling until your bg drops down to under 3mmol which happens over time although it probably hasn't occurred just yet.

I would ask for a referral to see a hospital consultant regarding an ideal hba1c for you to achieve and possibly make a case for getting an insulin pump funded.
I'll bare this in mind, thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In a way it does not matter what my views on meters and causes of readings below 4.0 are. This stuff is only relevant prior to driving (within the next few minutes) and not stuck in the house as they wont give me my licence back.

No I quite agree that the meter accuracy is irrelevant here, the issue appears to be that your GP thinks your hypo unaware and that is why they've informed the DVLA.

Better to take this matter up with the GP and ask them for an explanation if you've not told them that you've lost your hypo awareness.

Reactions: azure

Bill_Tanner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An excellent topic thanks for all contributors for the information provided and for discussing the issues and implications of hypo's and the DVLA