DVLA have revoked my driving license

JessHilton

Hi new user here

In Dec 18 I had a hypo and my blood sugar dropped without me realising & my husband had to help me. Following this I visited my GP, explained I had impaired hypo awareness & she advised I stop driving which I did. I was then referred to the diabetic team and was given a Dexcom G6 which replaces my physical hypo awareness. I asked the diabetic consultant if I could now drive she advised I contact the DVLA & ask if I could drive. The DVLA and my consultant spoke and she provided them with my clinic letters but gave them no further information about my Dexcom G6. As I result, the DVLA have revoked my license from 13th Sept & given me the option of sending them further info or I have 6 months to appeal through the magistrates court. At the same time my diabetic care was transferred to a new team and I have been given an Omnipod pump.

I have been told that if I provide the DVLA with further evidence they could take the 6 months to consider it leaving me no further avenue to appeal.

I have read through the updated Sept 19 Fitness to Drive documents which say I need adequate hypo awareness which I have with my Dexcom G6 CGM, they also say I must not have had 2 or more hypo episodes where I need help from a third party. I have only had one of these and this was prior to having my Dexcom.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there anyone who has experience of appealing against the DVLA decision and would you be prepared to share your experience with me. Eg did you employ legal representation? I am struggling to find a solicitor who has the experience in this area.

2. Is there anyone out there who has a Dexcom G6 CGM & impaired hypo awareness who is able to drive in the UK?

Thanks in advance