1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DVLA have revoked my driving license

Discussion in 'Driving and DVLA' started by JessHilton, Oct 8, 2019.

1. JessHilton

JessHilton · Newbie

Hi new user here

In Dec 18 I had a hypo and my blood sugar dropped without me realising & my husband had to help me. Following this I visited my GP, explained I had impaired hypo awareness & she advised I stop driving which I did. I was then referred to the diabetic team and was given a Dexcom G6 which replaces my physical hypo awareness. I asked the diabetic consultant if I could now drive she advised I contact the DVLA & ask if I could drive. The DVLA and my consultant spoke and she provided them with my clinic letters but gave them no further information about my Dexcom G6. As I result, the DVLA have revoked my license from 13th Sept & given me the option of sending them further info or I have 6 months to appeal through the magistrates court. At the same time my diabetic care was transferred to a new team and I have been given an Omnipod pump.

I have been told that if I provide the DVLA with further evidence they could take the 6 months to consider it leaving me no further avenue to appeal.

I have read through the updated Sept 19 Fitness to Drive documents which say I need adequate hypo awareness which I have with my Dexcom G6 CGM, they also say I must not have had 2 or more hypo episodes where I need help from a third party. I have only had one of these and this was prior to having my Dexcom.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there anyone who has experience of appealing against the DVLA decision and would you be prepared to share your experience with me. Eg did you employ legal representation? I am struggling to find a solicitor who has the experience in this area.

2. Is there anyone out there who has a Dexcom G6 CGM & impaired hypo awareness who is able to drive in the UK?

Thanks in advance

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook