DVLA NEW EU RULES

roberthollie

hi all has any one had experience with the new rules about driving with type one diabetes and the blanket ban if you have had two or more hypos in a year or in your sleep, this new rule has shocked me as it will affect a millions of people in the UK to get to and from work for me it will put me on the unemployment register if it happened to me very worrying. :evil: :( :? :shock:

marti

Welcome aboard i am Martina from BC Canada, i am a type 2 diabetic for 6 years, i am on Lantus Insulin twice a day

zibi1

Again, the hypos must be severe i.e. you needed paramedic assistance. If someone needed paramedic assistance twice in a year, than it means that hypo awareness is somehow lost. Even if I'm a T1, I think this is sort of fair.
But you can have as many "controlled" hypos as you want, your licence won't be affected.

LaughingHyena

Again, the hypos must be severe i.e. you needed paramedic assistance.

My understanding was that severe means that you have to have someone assist you, but that could be anyone, not necessarily paramedics.

For example, If I drop low but I notice, test and eat something that is not a severe hypo. However if I drop low and don't notice and my husband has intervene and get sugar into me then that would be classed as severe.

zibi1

This I don't know. But again, if one has hypos so bad that needs external assistance, that means that he can potentially be at risk when driving. Hence, I think this sort of makes sense.