DVLA - Provisional Renewal?

GGKing

Hi all.

So....I had a provisional driving licence which expired in 2015 (only valid for 3 years due to T1 diabetes). I didn't renew at the time.

Want to finally get around to learn to drive, so went on DVLA website. Tried to renew but got so far and then it said I wasn't entitled to that service. I presumed maybe my licence just gets wiped forever because I didn't renew. So then I started 'Apply for first provisional licence'. I thought my passport had expired so they ended up sending me something in the post to prove my identity, long winded, going ti take weeks if not months. In the meantime, I found my passport and it actually expires next Wednesday. I'm going to cancel my current application and apply again online as It will be quicker and i need to use my passport before it expired, but:

I checked DVLA records online and my licence DOES still exist. So i tried the 'Renew Short-term medical licence' option. It accepted all my details etc and said they will be in touch and in the meantime i can carry on driving (obviously i cant, it's a provisional licence!). So now I'm completely lossed. Was this the right option? There is no information at all on DVLA website or on wider internet if this option applies to provisional licences or full licences only? Do I need to apply for a new licence from scratch? I'm in a mess now as I want to get it sorted before my passport expires.