DVLA

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning Everyone,

Just a quick question -whilst at the Diabetic appointment yesterday Hubby was told (among a million other things) to inform the DVLA that he had been diagnosed with T2. The nurse said that this wouldn't affect his licence but can anyone tell me why she said this-is it a legal requirement ?

I could understand why if someone was T1 and taking insulin but just for having higher blood sugar than normal-especially if you control it through diet ??

thanks Sandra

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This question frequently come up and the answer is always the same.
Any Diabetic of whatever Type He/She is, who is on diabetic medications which are known to bring Blood/Glucose levels down to a point where a hypo occurs, is legally obliged to inform the DVLA of thir medication and of their Diabetic Type.
Metformin, which many of us Type 2's frequently are prescribed dosen't usually cause any problem, where as Glickazide can bring Blood/Glucose levels down to what is considered Hypo.
The DVLA advises all diabetic to check their Blood/Glucose level befor driving and ensure that it above 5.0 mmol/L before starting their journey, and to also ensure if they are on these medications that can induce a potential Hypo, that the also carry with them some suitable food/drink so that should they feel unwell (hypo) comming on, then thay can stop and take appropriate remedial action.
In most cases with Type 2's the DVLA will have no objection, but with Type 1's, they will require a doctor's report that the individual has been free from any Hypo for some time previous and will then only permit them to drive for a limited time (1,2,3,4 years) according to the doctor's report.

Reactions: Sam50

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This question frequently come up and the answer is always the same.
Any Diabetic of whatever Type He/She is, who is on diabetic medications which are known to bring Blood/Glucose levels down to a point where a hypo occurs, is legally obliged to inform the DVLA of thir medication and of their Diabetic Type.
Metformin, which many of us Type 2's frequently are prescribed dosen't usually cause any problem, where as Glickazide can bring Blood/Glucose levels down to what is considered Hypo.
The DVLA advises all diabetic to check their Blood/Glucose level befor driving and ensure that it above 5.0 mmol/L before starting their journey, and to also ensure if they are on these medications that can induce a potential Hypo, that the also carry with them some suitable food/drink so that should they feel unwell (hypo) comming on, then thay can stop and take appropriate remedial action.
In most cases with Type 2's the DVLA will have no objection, but with Type 1's, they will require a doctor's report that the individual has been free from any Hypo for some time previous and will then only permit them to drive for a limited time (1,2,3,4 years) according to the doctor's report.
thanks Lazybones, my understanding was along those lines, if only using diet to control the condition then no need to inform them as it's too low a blood glucose level which would cause potential problems.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear - your experience with this nurse just keeps sounding worse & worse!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No he isn't taking any medication and looking on the DVLA website I think if controlling by diet only then you don't have to tell them. Thanks for confirming what I thought.

He should, however, inform his car insurance company. It won't make the slightest bit of difference to his premiums and they won't be very interested, but as we know, they will use many tricks to avoid paying out. Better safe than sorry.

I rang my company to advise them of my diagnosis. I was told thank you for the information, it won't affect anything. And it hasn't.

dave_gardner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning Everyone,

Just a quick question -whilst at the Diabetic appointment yesterday Hubby was told (among a million other things) to inform the DVLA that he had been diagnosed with T2. The nurse said that this wouldn't affect his licence but can anyone tell me why she said this-is it a legal requirement ?

I could understand why if someone was T1 and taking insulin but just for having higher blood sugar than normal-especially if you control it through diet ??

thanks Sandra
Hi Sandra, I am also type 2 but now on insulin and that is reportable. If your husband is experiencing hypo's then it is reportable. Other than that he is ok.
I reported to dvla when I was first diagnosed, they wrote back saying thanks but unless I have the above then I am ok.
Dave

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sandra, I am also type 2 but now on insulin and that is reportable. If your husband is experiencing hypo's then it is reportable. Other than that he is ok.
I reported to dvla when I was first diagnosed, they wrote back saying thanks but unless I have the above then I am ok.
Dave
hi Dave- thanks for your reply. Hubby isn't currently taking any medication (diet only) so okay for the moment :)

Mark_1

The question to look out for on the insurance forms will be along the lines of,

Do you have any medical conditions that require reporting to the DVLA?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If your husband is experiencing hypo's then it is reportable.

Only if someone has no warning of the hypo or have needed help from a 3rd party when they got a hypo, I think all hypos while sleeping are also excluded. Along with anyone using insulin.