Early diabetic complications - any comments pls?

AchillesHeel

Dislikes
Too many to mention! Breakdown in respectful & courteous manners probably tops the list.
Hi everyone

I have been a Type 1 for close to 24 years now & have always looked after myself. Currently I have microalbuminuria of 122.2 ug/min, very mild non-proliferative retinopathy which needs no treatment only monitoring and early stages of peripheral neuropathy in the feet & legs (no pain, numbness or tingling at all - only hypersensitivity to touch). I am 45 years old. My cholesterol & BP levels are not problematic. I am slim with a BMI of 21. I take no medications except for insulin. A doctor has recently remarked that I am lucky to have such minimal complications considering how long I've been diabetic and that I may have some genetic protection ... I am just wondering whether that may be a fair comment ... Would you expect someone with D for this long to be in worse shape where complications are concerned or not? I'd really love to hear any comment about this. Just really baffled as to what are supposed to be 'normal' changes over time.

dragongirl

Welcome to the forum!
I'm not Type 1 so this is an interim comment while someone else comes along. You say you have always looked after yourself, and if that means having kept a very close balance between insulin and carb intake and all the other things involved in Type 1, then it stands to reason you may well have protected yourself successfully from many complications. Your DB may also have been picked up early and treated properly. And you might be right about having a genetic something that helps! Our bodies are all different and react differently. I guess it's been a complex of factors - but I bet you're glad it isn't going downhill at the moment. Some of that is undoubtedly down to your own efforts so be pleased.
As I say, someone will come along soon who has type 1 and knows more. I just wanted to acknowledge your post.
DG

AchillesHeel

Dislikes
Too many to mention! Breakdown in respectful & courteous manners probably tops the list.
dragongirl said:
Welcome to the forum!
I'm not Type 1 so this is an interim comment while someone else comes along. You say you have always looked after yourself, and if that means having kept a very close balance between insulin and carb intake and all the other things involved in Type 1, then it stands to reason you may well have protected yourself successfully from many complications. Your DB may also have been picked up early and treated properly. And you might be right about having a genetic something that helps! Our bodies are all different and react differently. I guess it's been a complex of factors - but I bet you're glad it isn't going downhill at the moment. Some of that is undoubtedly down to your own efforts so be pleased.
As I say, someone will come along soon who has type 1 and knows more. I just wanted to acknowledge your post.
DG

Thanks so much Dragongirl. I appreciate your reply. I don't feel that I am going downhill but you just don't know what the future will bring, I guess. Getting reassurance from doctors is like trying to get blood out of a stone at times.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tighter control can halt or slow down future progression of early diabetes complications, as well as keeping below normal bp and cholesterol levels.

Nigel