1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Early Morning Spikes (T1)

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by jillsymes66, Jan 24, 2019.

1. jillsymes66

jillsymes66 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi. I have been eating keto for the last 12mths and my bm levels have been in the 4-5.5 range. Since starting with the Libre sensor thingy I have noticed my bm level rises from about 3am to around 7-9! I have no idea why this is happening. I have not had a hypo. I usually do a 16/8 intermittent fasting but have done that for months. I am now having to have 1 or 2 units to get my bm down to where I like it plus I have increased my basal insulin by 4 units but this is still happening. Any advice please?

2. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

LOL Can't call it a CGM as it's not, FGM has an other meaning entirely so 'thingy' is about right! :D

Hi Jill sounds like an early Dawn Phenomenon (DP), fortunately I don't suffer from it so haven't had to deal with it however there's plenty who have, and is a well known driver for moving to a pump - assuming you're not already using one in which case you need to tweak your basal rates - others live with it and jab a correction to keep their BG as stable as possible although it does mean setting the alarm clock early to do so. Changing basals might help.

DP is the bodies natural way of getting you ready for the start of the day by the liver releasing glucose to give you energy to go out hunting for breakfast.

I'll also add 7-9 isn't so bad, but it does ruin your mainly 4-5.5 figures!

3. jillsymes66

jillsymes66 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks Slip. I'll do some research on DP. And yes you're right I'm not on a pump.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup, found that out the hard way during a conversation. Very happy I still have all my 'thingies':p

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook