Early pregnancy symptoms and dawn phenomenon

backarini

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all
I've recently found out that I'm around 5 weeks pregnant, following a miscarriage earlier in the year. I'm very excited but also super scared.
I've undertaken pre pregnancy counselling earlier in the year as you should and have my first antenatal appointment booked.

The past week, my blood sugars have been running quite a bit higher than usual - I have always been told that early pregnancy brings low blood sugars. Around 1am every night my sugars just rise, and I can wake up anywhere between 11-15. I used to experience dawn phenomenon before I got my pump 9 years ago.
I am quite stressed at the moment, so this may not be helping. But I can't seem to get my average below 9 or 10...

Has anyone else experienced this insulin resistance or higher sugars in early pregnancy, or have any advice for someone who's expecting their first child and is petrified of keeping baby healthy alongside my diabetes.

Thanks in advance.
B

Last edited:

Bethan.92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, my blood sugars raised early on in both my pregnancies. Keep positive and doing what you're doing. Good luck

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and yes 3 healthy pregnancies and the stress of a medicalised 'natural' situation seemed to make me spike but then being super careful with bgs made less margin for error.
Physiologically insulin resistance occurs in the latter stages because it is nature's way of maximising growth for the baby and your fat stores.
I imagine you are likely to be stressed in the true sense - excited and scared as you say so I hope that as you get closer to the 9 then scan date (can you get an early one for reassurance?) you will start to feel calmer.
Hope you've got some good calming down techniques up your sleeve (other than wine and chocolate !!) but you could tweak your levels pre dawn say 3am downwards to see if this helps too.
Though this isn't the time to make drastic dietary changes you might get a smoother ride by cutting back on carbs so that at least your boluses involve smaller errors. I wish I had done this when I was pregnant and thinking giant jacket potatoes were the way to go!
Best of luck and hope that you get to enjoy this very special time.