Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi sophia and jess.
Jess is growing up into a young lady and this is a natural thing to want to follow trend
and be part of the gang in school and friendship circles.
I agree a good qualified jeweller or tattoo/ piercing practice would be safer
than claires fashion jewellery shop for this .
A 'good' jeweller or piercing practice should 'offer' jess a skin test prior to the
procedure being done. [both for their insurance and jess's wellbeing!]
This should involve a sterilised wrapped lancet prick, into jess's arm then rub the
metal over the area pricked , like they do for the food/pollen allergy tests...
Any reaction to certain metals will have to be eliminated.
Nickel free for myself is a 'must' plus stainless steel .
9ct gold thinnest hoops were used to guarantee any reaction by my jeweller.
Hoops to rotate daily whilst hygenic batheing was done for 2 weeks .
It was a total success and I was soooo proud to be able to wear some jewellery safetly.
You may find you will have to 'pay' more for this to be done but the safety factor for your jess
will be worth it.
Do let us know how things go and would love to hear the results.
Much love and thoughts .
Anna.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback and advice for me to consider. We do have an upmarket jeweller in town and I'm not sure if they do piercing but I will go and see them to find out. I'm happy to spend more to get it done right and without complications. I'm waiting to have a chat with our DSN about this too, will let you all know what the outcome is and how it goes.

Edit to say that I phoned the jeweller and yes they do ear piercing. They said if Jess' consultant is happy to provide a letter saying she has good control then they are happy to go ahead with the piercing. They use gold studs only and it's done with a piercing gun and would be by appointment only. Will check out the other options in town too (piercing and tattoo place) but I like the sound of this jeweller as she seemed to be well informed about it all and diabetes.

mrawfell

Jopar, in my opinion you were absolutely right. A four year old "telling" their parents what she wants and must have. Something about the tail wagging the dog springs to mind.

lauren_gee_x

I've had my ears pierce three times twice with a gun and once with a needle. I've also had my lip pierce with a needle as well. The piercings with the needles healed much better then the other ones. Titanium earring gs are also good that's what I always use xx