Easier and trickier carbs

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bread is my nemesis - brown or white - spikes me badly. Not too bad with potatoes or rice but I have to split my dose for pasta

Reactions: JMoli

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I split doses into 3 for pizza on the rare occasion I indulge. I have half the amount of spaghetti I used to have mixed with half courgetti. It tends to be brown and I always pre cook and reheat. This seems to sort out spikes

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I split doses into 3 for pizza on the rare occasion I indulge. I have half the amount of spaghetti I used to have mixed with half courgetti. It tends to be brown and I always pre cook and reheat. This seems to sort out spikes

Has it been a lot of trial and error with pizza? I’ve only ever tried a vegan one (I’m dairy intolerant) and even that seemed tricky and has different results every time, I seem to need to split bolus every carb that isn’t bread or potatoes. Thanks, will try that with spaghetti - I’m sure I read somewhere that under 30g of spaghetti won’t need a split bolus or spike too high (I may be wrong) but that seems a tiny amount of pasta, so to add some veggies sounds great x

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bread is my nemesis - brown or white - spikes me badly. Not too bad with potatoes or rice but I have to split my dose for pasta

With split bolus does it tend to be the same timings, say half with meal and half two hours later, or do you watch your Libre/cgm and take the second bolus when there’s a rise? I’ve tried pasta so many times and the second rise comes at different times each attempt, and sometimes never comes. It’s pretty unpredictable, I’m never too sure what I’m doing!

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With split bolus does it tend to be the same timings, say half with meal and half two hours later, or do you watch your Libre/cgm and take the second bolus when there’s a rise? I’ve tried pasta so many times and the second rise comes at different times each attempt, and sometimes never comes. It’s pretty unpredictable, I’m never too sure what I’m doing!
Varies massively insulin to insulin. For instance, because of 'weak peak' compared to other insulins, I'd quite happily split my Humalog more often than not, even on Higher GI foods. Whereas Fiasp I'm extremely reluctant to split because the stacking peak on the second dose is incredibly strong.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
I have had to convert to brown pasta, cooled then reheated with split dose 15 minutes before and 15-30 minutes after seems to work for me.
Sweet potatoes have replaced every variation of potatoes, and are now a safe bet for me.
I split dose with rice, but still need to keep an eye on things.
And pizza still catches me out, I'm going to try and extend my part 2 bolus to 1.5 hours later, reduce the amount of pizza and keep my fingers crossed!

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had to convert to brown pasta, cooled then reheated with split dose 15 minutes before and 15-30 minutes after seems to work for me.
Sweet potatoes have replaced every variation of potatoes, and are now a safe bet for me.
I split dose with rice, but still need to keep an eye on things.
And pizza still catches me out, I'm going to try and extend my part 2 bolus to 1.5 hours later, reduce the amount of pizza and keep my fingers crossed!

Good luck with the pizza! I’m still experimenting with foods and scribbling down timings and outcomes but some foods just don’t want to play fair and react in wildly different ways. That’s interesting you find sweet potato fairly straightforward, I’d forgotten about them!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fried rice is my enemy no matter what i do i never get it right,but i still have it occasionally