Easiest way to get prescriptions in different places

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all!
So I travel for work a lot - am in a new town every two/three weeks and I don't always have ample time to go home and get my prescription from my local pharmacy. So far the only way I've been able to get my prescription sent to me away from home is to get the fax number for a pharmacy, email it and my request to my home gp and hope nothing goes wrong (normally takes about a week to actually get it all sorted). Does anyone have any ideas on whether there is a more efficient way to do this?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can you get physical copy of your prescriptions to carry with you?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi all!
So I travel for work a lot - am in a new town every two/three weeks and I don't always have ample time to go home and get my prescription from my local pharmacy. So far the only way I've been able to get my prescription sent to me away from home is to get the fax number for a pharmacy, email it and my request to my home gp and hope nothing goes wrong (normally takes about a week to actually get it all sorted). Does anyone have any ideas on whether there is a more efficient way to do this?

Thankfully, I don't take any medication at all, so haven't encountered your issue. Would it be possible for you r GP to allow you a modest "stock" of insulin which might allow you to smooth the supply peaks and troughs?

Alternatively, would they allow you to have a paper prescription you can keep in your wallet to present, as required? I have no idea how long such a script would remain valid.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just speak to your GP and see if they can provide prescriptions with enough to last you 2-3 months each time.

Obviously you'd have to take care transporting insulin and keeping it at correct temp.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Simple solution is to organise your prescriptions so you always have enough with you. Make the time to talk to your GP even if it's a telephone consultation or better still write a letter and explain what you need/why you need it and the quantity or ask for prescriptions o you can fill when away from home which you really shouldn't need to do.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@isjoberg
One solution I would suggest is to physically pick up your scripts (either yourself or via a surrogate(eg parent/partner) and present it to the pharmacist of your choice meanwhile try to build up a buffer stock to cope with delays.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't know what shelf life is on your meds, but i built up a buffer stock on mine simply by ordering initially a couple of weeks apart, rather than a month.
My surgery will also issue up to three months prescription for holidays.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for all the replies! I have buffer stock for everything apart from my long acting and have been trying to get the amount of it on my prescription changed for the last year with no luck! I have a physical copy but the main issue is that they can't order using it as it is too far away (?) / Scottish NHS does not overlap with English NHS causing other issues. I'm going to see if I can go talk to my GP and see if I can stockpile some insulin!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for all the replies! I have buffer stock for everything apart from my long acting and have been trying to get the amount of it on my prescription changed for the last year with no luck! I have a physical copy but the main issue is that they can't order using it as it is too far away (?) / Scottish NHS does not overlap with English NHS causing other issues. I'm going to see if I can go talk to my GP and see if I can stockpile some insulin!

Tell them you left your supply in the hotel room, and you need a replacement.

D

Deleted member 308541

My GP give me my scripts and repeats, which I keep in a wallet supplied my pharmacist.

I can go any where and get them filled with them this way.

Reactions: isjoberg