Not open for further replies.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:cool:Contradiction seems to be a regular issue in the OP's posts. Makes things rather confusing..

Either way, the OP is talking "casseroles"...
Contrary to the traditional dish of leaving to slow cook. He likes to come back & stir... ;)

Reactions: 2 people

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In your original post you say - 'if I am to be out all day and unable to be around,' - not that you are deciding what to eat only half an hour beforehand. Stews and casseroles need long slow cooking. You should be looking at stir-frys and microwaves and such for a quick meal.
Your slow cooker is intended to be set then left strictly alone whilst you are out.

I looked stir-frys and they dont look like that:
recipe-image-legacy-id--890477_11.jpg

I want it with some tomato or white sauce. Can microwave do that in less than 20min?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Microwave will make the meat tough - like someone suggested you could get a slow cooker make a big batch and then freeze it in portions then defrost it and heat it in the microwave if you want it quickly

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I looked stir-frys and they dont look like that:
recipe-image-legacy-id--890477_11.jpg

I want it with some tomato or white sauce. Can microwave do that in less than 20min?
They can do anything for love. But they won't do that..

I was thinking Meatloaf.

Reactions: 4 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Yes. The difference between a primed clay pot and a slow cooker is that the clay itself adds a certain flavor in the convection, you can set the temperature very low and cook overnight in it whereas the slow cookers sometimes dehydrate what's in them. Also the clay pots with lids (or tagines, too) are good for making yoghurt overnight as well

You can also do higher heat stuff with these. Macedonian and Bulgarian cooking is sometimes higher temp, sometimes lower temp. Tava. In almost all countries of europe that had Thracian populations, you will see traditional clay pots still being made. I saw the most beautiful of these in Romania with a traditional blue glaze. I have a rather large one from Bulgaria. They are generally lead free so you don't have to worry about them.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/thracian-clay-pot-recipe.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thracian_language

Kugan mound cultures used these kinds of clay pots, and there are prehistoric finds.

What great information... Time for research and my next purchase :)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

15/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Casseroles and stir-frys are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can it cook faster, let's say within half an hour? Or I need other device or this?
Because I usually decide what is my appetite for my meal few hours before I eat, so I need to prepare my meal fast.
If you want something that gives similar results and that cook lots faster then you need to invest in a pressure cooker. I would go one of the newer electric one as opposed to an old fashion stovetop top one. I have no clue how much an electric pressure cooker is in the UK

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've looked on Amazon Cat and they seem to cost from £69 upwards, but the website is confusing, as they're all mixed up with stove-top P Cookers.
My Mum used to swear by her's, but I can't say I was ever enthusiastic about the flavours of her stews and casseroles.

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My mum used to use her stovetop top one a lot
Red cabbage with bacon and apple
Topside with frankfurts stuffed inside
Escallopes stuffed
Casseroles
Pulled meat etc
I do have a stovetop top one but am actually very scared of it

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you couldnt find then what makes you think other people will be able to??

Are you prediabetic or type 2?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
could we all please try and either answer / acknowledge the original query or at least keep it supportive

thanks !!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Google is your friend.

Reactions: 4 people

hornplayer

I'm confused......

Anyway.

If you like tomato based things, you can put tomatoes in with pretty much anything. I've never used a slow cooker, but if you put all the things you'd usually put in a tomato based sauce cooked on the stove top, into an oven proof dish, it will cook just as well and you won't need to stand and stir it. You can put it on a higher temperature setting if you want it quicker, or cook for longer on a lower setting. I do tend to stir half way through, but It doesn't take very long.

Pretty sure you can do tomato stuff in a slow cooker too. ......I've got one .......... Somewhere.....

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
JohnEGreen with all respect, what on earth does this have to do with my pursue of a small (for one person) electric pressure cooker?

I've just given the slow cooker specifacation a 2nd look over on @JohnEGreen 's link..
This baby has got it all. It's "fully loaded".! A Tripple :cool: rating. Full marks to JEG!!
He can be my personal shopper anytime...

If you won't thank the guy for finding it.? I will.!! :D

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just given the slow cooker specifacation a 2nd look over on @JohnEGreen 's link..
This baby has got it all. It's "fully loaded".! A Tripple :cool: rating. Full marks to JEG!!
He can be my personal shopper anytime...

If you won't thank the guy for finding it.? I will.!! :D

sorry I can't buy a 5lt cooker to cook 1lt of meal

Status
Not open for further replies.