Easy Lunch ideas

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I'm sure someone will have some good ideas on easy to make lunch. I have always had a sandwich with some easy filling such as cheese-tomato or jam etc. But want to cut the cars down especially as its white bread. As it causes my sugar levels to spike quite a bit.

Does anyone have some ideas on easy to make lunch, preferably not meat as it gets time consuming to cook and eating it everyday will become costly!

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had a bag of pork scratchings and a cold chicken thigh with a coffee with cream. Yum. 1g of carb the lot.

Reactions: Muneeb

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I always have a mix of things in the fridge: slices of ham, various cheeses, bags of salad leaves, olives, tomatoes and such like. Reach hand into fridge, slap a few bits and pieces onto a plate or into a plastic food box if eating away from home, job done.
Sally

Reactions: Safi and Muneeb

Sugary123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

I'm sure someone will have some good ideas on easy to make lunch. I have always had a sandwich with some easy filling such as cheese-tomato or jam etc. But want to cut the cars down especially as its white bread. As it causes my sugar levels to spike quite a bit.

Does anyone have some ideas on easy to make lunch, preferably not meat as it gets time consuming to cook and eating it everyday will become costly!

Thanks
Hi Granary bread is low G I so raises blood sugar slowly if that helps x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not for everyone.. Low GI doesn't often help with spikes. Try and test but I have found bread of any kind is best avoided in all circumstances.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks worth a try, is it available in most supermarkets? As I was looking for corn tortilla's but couldn't find them at Asda...

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have a mix of things in the fridge: slices of ham, various cheeses, bags of salad leaves, olives, tomatoes and such like. Reach hand into fridge, slap a few bits and pieces onto a plate or into a plastic food box if eating away from home, job done.
Sally
Don't think I'd be able to live off just salad, stomach is rumbling thinking about it haha

Reactions: lorraine95

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

Thanks
If you really must have bread try a high protein bread. 10g a slice. I save it for the very very occasional bacon sandwich! But make a batch of soup at the begging of the week. Try salads with hard boiled egg or chicken.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you really must have bread try a high protein bread. 10g a slice. I save it for the very very occasional bacon sandwich! But make a batch of soup at the begging of the week. Try salads with hard boiled egg or chicken.
It doesn't have to be read, just relatively easy to make. Ill try salads with egg or chicken as you suggested. Thanks

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think I'd be able to live off just salad, stomach is rumbling thinking about it haha
We're not living off "just salad". We're living off lots of ham, cheese, olives, with a salad garnish for a bit of colour. Never hungry.
Sally

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any number of fatty protein sandwich fillings can be wrapped up in large lettuce leaves. I roast meats on the weekend then cool, portion & freeze. Cheaper cuts can be cooked in a slow cooker making them fall-apart tender & chicken drumsticks are always cheap too.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hardboiled egg, cheese, cherry toms, few walnuts with a handful of salad leaves. I occasionally have a quinoa ryvita with peanut butter, egg mayo or cream cheese on for something crunchy to eat.