Type 2 Eat to the meter, or play the long game?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Quite often I only have one meal a day, which typically consists of meat and veg. If I do have lunch, it can be a salmon or bacon salad. I eat stews with meat and veg that grows above ground but can eat some carrots. Cheese, fish, berries, cream, eggs, nuts, butter. I have made sausage rolls with fathead dough twice. Really my meals are quite plain. I don't keep testing so much now as I know what I can eat. I don't sit watching YouTube and all the science of Diabetes as what else can I do? I am eating very low carb foods, and this is all I can do. I personally for myself just want to get on with my life as best as I can, as I have other health issues to think of, not just high Blood glucose levels etc. I know that if I kept watching Jason Fung or any other expert it would start to stress me out, and I know that it would not be healthy for me. Others find it very helpful which is good, but for me..I can only do the best that I can and concentrate on keeping my sugar levels at a healthy level.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, @Mr_Pot lighten up.

Dealing successfully with T2D is an intensely personal matter, and requires you to get into the right mindset.

If "vague notions" work for people then it is all good.

@Jim Lahey isn't claiming that his thoughts are fact, just describing what works for him. Even if it only helps a small number of people, it is still worth expressing.

My "vague notion" is slightly different, but it's working for me.

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

The overflow hypothesis is most certainly not a “vague notion”. It’s the view of Jason Fung and many others. I’ve tested the theories on myself and it appears to be exactly correct in so many ways, I could fill another thread with it. Does that make it fact? No not really, but it makes it pretty meaningful to me.

Dr. Pot continually challenges the notion across these forums as though he expects a different answer each time. Moreover, he then goes on to ignore any links to studies and videos that explain it better than I am able to. A week passes, then rinse and repeat. For this reason I have chosen not to debate him any further on the subject. I’d prefer to just disagree like adults and move on :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
"We" have got to be some of the most lucky unlucky people on average in the Type 2 community. By this I mean we can prescribe ourselves a magic pill revolving around lifestyle choices and in the majority of cases effect what I would deem a virtual cure / remission / reversal or management (choose your own description).

The lock and key hypothesis or the overflow which Jason Fung advocates are equally in my view valid. The good news for "us" is that this variable is an aside to the bottom line of depleting the glucose within and minimising the glucose coming in. I am happy with a virtual cure, sticker as I know myself well enough to know that rice, potatoes, processed food and the like will never pass my lips willingly, and I have a range of foods I can currently rely on (Eat Lancet, fake meat, meat tax and the like permitting).

Reactions: Member496333

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The overflow hypothesis is most certainly not a “vague notion”. It’s the view of Jason Fung and many others. I’ve tested the theories on myself and it appears to be exactly correct in so many ways, I could fill another thread with it. Does that make it fact? No not really, but it makes it pretty meaningful to me.

Dr. Pot continually challenges the notion across these forums as though he expects a different answer each time. Moreover, he then goes on to ignore any links to studies and videos that explain it better than I am able to. A week passes, then rinse and repeat. For this reason I have chosen not to debate him any further on the subject. I’d prefer to just disagree like adults and move on :)
I believe I have challenged this once before, you however assert it at every opportunity. You gave one reference from Jason Fung, where are the links to studies you mention? I think The Diabetes Code is an excellent book but it is written in a very simplified way for a mass audience, he talks for example of sugar rotting eyes, feet, kidneys etc., hardly a medical explanation. The only idea I dispute is that glucose is accumulating over many years everywhere in the body and has to be purged. I suspect he is talking figuratively and is talking about the damage done by the glucose rather than the glucose itself. As I said, I am open to being convinced otherwise.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
The draining of the body regarding glucose may or may not be written in stone but as far as a mental tool to picture our issue I think it works well.

I have definately reached the point where I need to eat fat specifically or I flop. Bulletproof coffee for breakfast and again around 12. Cannot skip it. Even normal coffee doesn't work. I'm like one of the 'other toys' in the battery add.

By that I figure I'm down to running on fat and my body doesn't want to give up what's left.

Taking that further I must therefore be pretty much clear of any glucose too. Dp certainly doesn't feature much. Being pre diabetic fudges the numbers but it's a surprise if I'm not between 4.5 to 5.5 whenever I test. Normally 5.
First thing, pre, post. No matter. I only test couple of times a week now as a result.