Eating Before Exercise/gym

nualasdad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 taking metformin. I'm intersted to know what other type twos are eating before a workput and how long before you workout you eat?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you are on metformin and won't go hypo why do you need to eat anything?

swarnag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Most of the time I don't eat and take my medication when I come back and eat. I drink a cup of coffee with cream and sweetener.
If I feel hungry I eat a small piece of cheese.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I go to the gym after I get back from work (between 5.30 and 6.30). I take 3 SR metformin only with meals (or last thing at night if I've forgotten).
I'll eat at lunch (12-1) and then I don't usually bother eating before the gym. My most strenuous exercise is a boxercise class which wipes me out, but it's never got to the point where I've felt faint or like my performance has suffered through not eating.
After I've cooled down i'll usually eat within an hour of finishing my workout. To be honest I don't always feel hungry that soon after a workout, but I don't like to eat too close to bed.

As Nicole said, you're not at risk from hypo so I suppose the biggest consideration is how it makes you feel. High intensity exercise sometimes isn't a good idea if your blood sugar is high to start with (it can raise it). So depending on what you're eating, that could be a factor.

My TLDR from this long, rambly post is that you don't need to eat prior to working out....

S

Sean01

T2, met time release. T2 managed by exercise, met and diet. Exercise 7 days a week - inc strongman and walking.
Answer: 3 hours before the big work out: meat - a chop, steak, a couple of burgers (meat only) or 3-4 eggs in other words - protein and a strong black coffee. That all takes place at 5 p.m. I train at 8.

I switched to this at the beginning of October and the strength went through the roof. I get stronger/lift heavier every single day. I train each body part once every seven days - so technically, I get stronger week by week.

Protein shake straight after training - around 9:15.

(Most strongmen train for longer - I'm an ex body builder - intensity all the way - low reps (strongman) coupled with low sets. It works for me. First contest coming up at end of Nov. I believe I am at least 20-30 years older than most of the competitors. I intend giving them a hard time trying to beat me.

Good luck

Sean