Type 2 Eating Out

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So just wondering what people's strategies are for eating away from home....

I'm not always able to pack food to take with me for longer trips, and my husband and I used to enjoy eating out on occasion - which we haven't done since I was diagnosed, but with several recent road trips, and several more pending in the near future

I'm trying to work out good strategies for meals on the go.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Salads with protein, chicken or burgers without the bun and side salad. Those are always my best options.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So just wondering what people's strategies are for eating away from home....

I'm not always able to pack food to take with me for longer trips, and my husband and I used to enjoy eating out on occasion - which we haven't done since I was diagnosed, but with several recent road trips, and several more pending in the near future

I'm trying to work out good strategies for meals on the go.

Oceans Edge - I vowed when diagnosed that I would never decline an invitation or change our social lives. Of course, that means sometimes I've had to spend longer than usual perusing menus or deciding what I can or can't eat when we dine with others' in their homes. I have also never, ever asked anyone to be mindful of my diagnosis when catering for us. Why should they? In fact, I have only shared my diagnosis with a handful of people.

I just make the best choices I can. When dining with others in their homes, of we're on a meat, veg and starch (potatoes or rice) if we're serving ourselves from dishes on the table, I'll choose more veg/salad and just ignore the starch. if the meat is in a sauce I think is probably tricky, I'll just try not to have too much of it.

Of course, I have been asked why I'm not having spuds, bread, or whatever, and I just say I had some tests which highlighted my body wasn't handling certain foods too well, so I try to avoid or minimise them now. That's usually accepted - probably on the grounds it would be impolite to grill someone (pun intended) at the dinner table.

In restaurants, I do similarly and depending on what's on offer, I might ask to trade chips for more salad or whatever. An Italian tratorria was a challenge as it was their "all you can eat" buffet night and our hosts were paying. To be honest, I just had a very small portion and got on with it. Thankfully, MrB isn't a pizza fan, and happily live without pasta, so it wasn't going to be a regular feature.

These days, my body has recovered sufficiently well to tolerate modest portions of most foods, but when out, I just stick with my core approach because it's easier. our friends have got used to it and simply never bring it up. Of course, they probably think of me as a bit of a "food nutter, but there are worse things for them to think of me!

I went away for a trip lasting several months 3 weeks after my diagnosis, so I was thrown into all of this pretty promptly, but it was probably good that it did. I think it made me really think about it.

Good luck with it all, and enjoy your adventures. For me, it's critical to live a good, varied and energetic life, and travel is a decent part of it. I'm sure you'll find a way to deal with this.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best of whatever is on offer, and adjust the portion size to suit.

Don't stress it.

I'm not embarrassed to be diabetic, if it comes up, I'll simply tell people, and life goes on.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most decent restaurants will make you an omelette any time of day if there is nothing suitable on the menu. Most will also do a nice steak or chop on the grill with a salad or steamed veg instead of potato or pasta. Burgers without the bun (they will assume celiac) but be careful of fillers in the patty. It really depends on how strict you are. I was out of town last week and ordered an omelette with bacon, sausage, mushroom, onion, green pepper, and cheese. All seems perfectly low carb safe right? BS shot up 2.5 points. What?? All I can figure is there must have been some kind of sugar or starch added to the filling in the omelette.. Ah well, it was very tasty :p

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thanks folks
friends and people we visit with are all relatively close friends, so most of them already know about my diagnosis and are quite understanding about my 'trolling' through the foods offered for what I can eat.

Proper restaurants (well except for the hubby's favourite pizza and pasta joint) are not tooooooo bad, I can probably order the chicken beef or fish and just skip the extras. I think the biggest issue for me is the typical 'fast food' one tends to go for when their on the road - having done the 'burger' thing a couple weeks ago .... it hit me there really wasn't a lot on the menu I could 'do' .... so salad, basic burger (took the top bun off - just too messy to try and eat a cheeseburger with the ketchup mustard mayo pickle tomato onion - with NO bun at all) - that and a diet coke was about all I was gonna be able to do and it was fine but still the menus are so damned limited and the Timmy's next door was even worse - everything was soups (with either noodles or potatoes) or sandwiches - I can learn to live without an Ice Capp but ... fark, not a single thing there that wouldn't. The burger thing is fine for one meal, but if we hit the road for several weeks, yeah I'll be doing a fair bit of cooking/packing our own food, but not all and I just can't see me only eating bunless cheeseburgers 3 or 4 times a week ..Heh, maybe just order Arby's in a bowl!

Yeah it's definitely another hurdle / skill / challenge to master..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just one further thing to add, @OceansEdge - At the outset, I would usually try, when going to others', knowing we'll be eating there, I'd try not to go absolutely starving, so I light have a small piece of cheese, or a few nuts before going, which made most of the options/choices easier.

@SunnyExpat - I'm not ashamed of my diagnosis, but I have found that people frankly, aren't that bothered, and it's only something to tag as a label.

Well before my diagnosis, I recall a neighbour who was talking about someone she thought I should know as being "the diabetic lady". I thought that was very intrusive to the person being described, but I guess it happens. I'll stick with "the mad woman", thanks. At least that seems to fit the bill. ;)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ah Timmy's so will hazard a guess that you are a fellow Canadian? A&W will do a double whatever burger on a plate with lettuce to wrap it in if you ask. Their chicken strips are not great for carbs but better than most fast food places. McDonalds is hopeless. Dennys is also a good choice of restaurant but that's where my omelette came from lol

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally found this the hardest part, we used to eat out at least a couple of times a week. My go to food is often a steak - I ask them to change the chips for vegetables as I'm diabetic and can't eat carbs. No hassle usually, and no charge. I'm bored with salads so have no desire for them if dining out, chicken or fish is another option. Too much carb hangover for me to personally just eat whats offered if it is carb laden - my friends and family all know about my condition and actually all cater for it, funny how many say they enjoy low carb food LOL

Over time you will find it easier, just don't let it stop you going out. As for fast food - still working on that, although I do enjoy a pizza topping and just leave the crust - boy, that takes willpower!

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yep - Bluenoser :D
Good to know about A&W - they and Harvey's and Wendy's tend to be my burgers of choice Micky D's I avoid on the best of days. I always liked Dennys not enough of them in Canada ... Smittys would probably be pretty good as well, although I do associate them with pancakes.

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do pizza at home once a week - but then I control the crust (thin crust - I always did like mine extra thick)... and the sauce and just meat and veg and a lotta cheese. It pops my numbers a wee bit but as things have come down in general the spikes are less spikey and it's a bit high normal for me, but still within my 'acceptable' range - I'm less keen to risk pizza away from home

PS ... nice Mooney there @PenfoldAPD

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just one further thing to add, @OceansEdge - At the outset, I would usually try, when going to others', knowing we'll be eating there, I'd try not to go absolutely starving, so I light have a small piece of cheese, or a few nuts before going, which made most of the options/choices easier.

@SunnyExpat - I'm not ashamed of my diagnosis, but I have found that people frankly, aren't that bothered, and it's only something to tag as a label.

Well before my diagnosis, I recall a neighbour who was talking about someone she thought I should know as being "the diabetic lady". I thought that was very intrusive to the person being described, but I guess it happens. I'll stick with "the mad woman", thanks. At least that seems to fit the bill. ;)

I never stress over labels, but I guess if it matters to you, you need to be comfortable with the ones you like, if you're that sort of person.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
On the same trip out of town my friend and I had decided to go to smokes poutinery, a totally forbidden zone for me. I decided as I have been 100% non cheating for three months that I would treat myself but test a lot to see what happened. I was at 5.2 pre meal and my peak was 8.1 at about 90 minutes. Not too over the top as a high but still a 3 point rise. The big thing I have noticed is that from that one meal my FBG is still running at least 2 points or more higher after 6 days (7.3 as opposed to 4.9 I keep records) Not high enough to be damaging but still a setback and wondering if it was worth it. Kinda was as it made my friend happy o_O

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do pizza at home once a week - but then I control the crust (thin crust - I always did like mine extra thick)... and the sauce and just meat and veg and a lotta cheese. It pops my numbers a wee bit but as things have come down in general the spikes are less spikey and it's a bit high normal for me, but still within my 'acceptable' range - I'm less keen to risk pizza away from home

Well spotted, we took her over to France today - lots of wonderful low carb food while relaxing on the beach! Life as a diabetic isn't all bad - I think I consumed my weight in cheese today ... all washed down with red wine :):)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

When you do your pizza at home, did you test any longer than the usual 2-hour "after" test? I found with pizza that the rise took longer, but I stayed elevated for longer, due to the high fat content. I also found my fasting was a little elevated for a few days afterwards.

Last time, I was absolutely fine, but my numbers were already well down by then. I've never been a pizza fan, so we generally don't bother, at home, or out.

OceansEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do find my fasting number on Saturday morning can be a wee bit higher than most days, but not exceptionally so, this weekend was a bit of an anomaly because we were on the run early .... so it was a case of my post breakfast number being higher than my pre, but then normally if I have toast at all it's a 1/2 a whole grain bagel, but rushing out the door I made a whole bagel egg sandwich :( But otherwise my numbers were fairly typical and consistent:
this week: Fri 22:30 pre-pizza 6.3 - 1:10 post pizza 7.3 Sat 8:40 6.7
last week: Fri 22:30 pre-pizza 5.8 - 1:30 post pizza 6.5 Sat 8:45 6.5

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My last meal out was horrendous in diabetic terms, raised my BG some what but it came don to normal levels in two hours.

It was burger chips and peas with a bottle of beer. well rather a large burger to be honest.

It's not something I envision repeating in the near future.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a blow out in Whitby last week. You cannot go to Whitby without sampling the best in the world fish and chips. So that is what I had. A large cod with crispy batter and a generous portion of chips. I did decline the peas and white bread. This was lunch time and as we were out I didn't test. I know it would have been horrendous, especially at lunch time. By pre-evening meal I was 5.3 so relief all round.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm concerned that my BG isn't reducing at the moment. We were away for our ruby wedding and ate at a very lovely posh restaurant and I had a few glasses of wine, but only a few and I don't seem to be able to get my BG levels back to where they were. The meal was on Saturday night and wasn't huge or carb laden as it was a tasting menu. I'm coming in between 6.7 and 8 at the moment, when before I was around 5.8. Eating less, drinks plenty - any ideas what I can do? Exercise raises my BG by a point, so I darent even go for a cycle ride! I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app