Eating Potato Results

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have read that before. I am not perfectly 'normal' post meal according to that.

I meant the information on the page detailing how the body's glucose/insulin handing breaks down - you may see yourself in one of the descriptions - there are 1st and 2nd insulin responses, and many different reasons why the body becomes pre diabetic. All info is useful if you want to halt a slide into D.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
When I want to know what some food does to my bg I test every hour until I am back to baseline again. Worst was glass noodles, with a baseline of 4.2, One h at 6.4, two h at 6.4, three h at 7.7, four h at 7,3. At that point I got peckish and tired of the whole thing so had some nuts and a square of chocolate and the five hour reading was 4.9, then I went to bed.

I bought the wrong meter Totto. The strips have been costing me £15-£20 for 50. I can't afford them so I have bought the codefree one today because the strips are substantially cheaper. :)

Reactions: 3 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I meant the information on the page detailing how the body's glucose/insulin handing breaks down - you may see yourself in one of the descriptions - there are 1st and 2nd insulin responses, and many different reasons why the body becomes pre diabetic. All info is useful if you want to halt a slide into D.

I'll take another look. Thanks :)

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought the wrong meter Totto. The strips have been costing me £15-£20 for 50. I can't afford them so I have bought the codefree one today because the strips are substantially cheaper. :)
I only do this kind of intensive testing when I try out new foods, often I don't bother at all.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's because your body produces so much insulin - being a reactive hypoglycaemic. I have/had the same problem.

Something similar happens to type 1s when they use too much insulin. It is a well known anecdote that going on to insulin causes weight gain. Also one of the reasons that undiagnosed type 1s lose so much weight - very little insulin present.

You may well find that the longer you low carb, and the less insulin you produce, and the fewer hypos you have, the easier it is to lose weight.

Me? I only lose weight in ketosis (very very low carbing) any more carbs than that and the weight just sits there - regardless of calories, because carb eating leads to insulin, leads to glucose being taken out of bloodstream and deposited as body fat.
I notice that your not on any medication and are diet only. My consultant has prescribed Sitagliptin, to see how I respond. My dietician and consultant have agreed that I start experimenting again. I have been reticent to eat carbs, but I will try some of the low GI foodstuffs, so far so good. Have not had a two hour reading over 8 yet. So fingers crossed. I also noticed you live in Cleethorpes. I'm from Birkenhead.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe me nosher it's a bit of a concern to me. I have lost a stone in 13 weeks and I was not very big to start with. 5ft 4 and weight about 8st 5 now. I don't really want to lose any more. I am only managing 1000 calories most days. I need to get it up to a minimum of 1500.

You mention trying to gain weight a lot. Are your medical team concerned about you being 8st 5lbs at 5ft 4in? I'm an inch shorter and 8st, but seem to be just in range, provided I classify myself as small frame. I'm content to do that, as I have size 4 feet and 32 inch hips.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
You mention trying to gain weight a lot. Are your medical team concerned about you being 8st 5lbs at 5ft 4in? I'm an inch shorter and 8st, but seem to be just in range, provided I classify myself as small frame. I'm content to do that, as I have size 4 feet and 32 inch hips.

My GP certainly is concerned that when I lose weight, I tend to lose weight rapidly. Three years ago I went down to 7 and a half stones and that has happened before.
I have had a lot of illness and he said that a person always needs some reserves to call upon should they ever be seriously ill..I am actually 5ft 4 and a half if it makes any difference lol.

I have been on ensure plus supplement drinks three times in the last six years when my weight has continued to go down. Nobody wants to see me hit that 7 and a half stone again. Trouble is I am not managing to put any weight back on and weekly I am losing more weight. I have been inactive for 13 weeks so it's not exercise.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you have a lot of issues SJC, so I wasn't challenging your situation per se, I was probably just a bit surprised at a reaction to stats not a million miles from my own.

Good luck with the weight gain challenge.