Education

TonyTruthful

This is a rant.

I get invited to a few diabetes education programmes every year from the hospital. Unfortunately they are during my working day so I am unable to attend.

My consultant said I should go on one as it would help me qualify for a pump and she said they are now running courses in the evening now.

Letter through the post, 6 week course; 4:30pm – 7:30pm.

Who in the real world finishes work at 4:30?….we all don’t work in the public sector you know!

TT

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol and whats it matter anyway, huh, cant all live like nuns, pffft they think this stuff is important, lucky we know better :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it is actually useful and at the end of the day its a pump hoop - one ive jumped myself!

TonyTruthful

I’m not saying it not useful. But working and paying my mortgage is.

Have you got one yet? Who’s to say you will like having a pump.

Andy you strike me as a typical public sector worker….. :D :D :D :D :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Truth be known TT there isn't a good time, if it were later it would clash with those working nights or if it were a weekend it could impact on those who work weekends or those who work 5 over 7.

You can get a letter from the DAFNE course leaders (or whatever course it is) to give to your employer explaining that you need the time off to attend the course, it obviously doesn't say that this should be taken as paid leave as that is discretionary and up to the employer....that is why a lot of us take the time off as holidays and others have understanding employers and get paid regardless.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr not 100% surs what we are ranting about but ended up missing my jelly breakfast and had to take my aunt shopping . We decided we would go to the carvery on way home so iv saved mysef . Got there and they have run out of beef (said I could have beef in 20mins) I cant stand gammon and the turky looks as if it has been cooked in chimney its that black . Have had to ask for refund . Am now siitting here watching other eat feeling like and very hunger

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TonyTruthful said:

Who in the real world finishes work at 4:30?….we all don’t work in the public sector you know!

I actually finish work at 4, start by 7am every day to have that "luxury" though. and so I would jump at the chance to go on an evening course!

At the end of the day they will never please everyone, so they pick a time and stick to it

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

Our neighbour works 7am till 3pm , this way is free to pick children up from school
safetly in time .
Gets paid a fulltime wage doing these hours also .
Cover all bills and mortgage :thumbup:

Out sum days at 4pm till 7pm to do her course also .
A course is always a temporary thing so its just a matter of the week its on for .
She has a positive way at dealing and looking at it all . :thumbup:

Anna .

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
whompa73 said:
Eaten now . Sorry got a little cranky

Whompa73 .

Imagine if everyone of us who felt very hungry and got very cranky as you put it
did what you did - :?: :shock:

It would be TOO damaging and total carnage a mess to clear up :thumbdown:

Threads and posts with that level of offensive language are NOT acceptable here .

Glad you have said 'sorry' now though :thumbup:

Anna .

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
TonyTruthful said:
I’m not saying it not useful. But working and paying my mortgage is.

Have you got one yet? Who’s to say you will like having a pump.

Andy you strike me as a typical public sector worker….. :D :D :D :D :D

im not sure what a public sector worker is, someone who works for the government? I was being sarcastic because earlier you showed a blatent disregard for your own personal well being, which before anyone starts I know its personal choice how we behave and what we do im not being holier than thou etc etc its up to you etc
not my business I know

but why we are talking about it, I cant believe you cannot go to your boss and explain the importance of this and they wouldn't let you make up the time, but again none of my business I know you said you were ranting and im sorry for poking my nose in, i think I work in the private sector I have a company in construction, luckily it dosent require many brain cells obviously lol

TonyTruthful

Totally agree you can’t please everyone but those times are neither here or there.

The old saying “you never get thanked for taking your holidays” is so true.

And yes Andy you hijacked my T1 thread with your sarcasm. I’m not bothered mind you as I love a bit of banter. :D

iHs

Not really sure what is going on nowadays regarding diabetics getting pumps, but I didn't go on a DAFNE course; I found out about carb counting, bg testing and adjusting ratios to suit the NICE bg guidelines from reading the messages on the forum and also registering with BDEC (online carb counting course) http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/ . Pump consultant was happy with my knowledge, so was the dietician so away the funding application went.