Effective dosage for Metformin

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm going back on Metformin for the winter because my weight loss has stalled and my exercise has gone down due to dodgy weather and dodgy knees.

Looking through this forum, there are suggestions that the dosage I was on (500mg twice a day) is too low to have much effect.

Any guidance on how much is considered to be effective, or do you just ramp up slowly until you see a distinct change in your fasting BG?

Cheers

LGC

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,ve just been upped on metformin too 3000mg from 1500mg.
so the old rate wasn,t doing anything for me so it was doubled and only started the new dosage today
so will see if they will help with losing weight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I kept records when I was on Metformin and I kept records when I wasn't on Metformin and I couldn't tell the difference. With the agreement of my DN I have stopped taking it.

flossymartin05

I started on glucophage and increased it to 2000mg a day...one morning and lunch and two with evening meal.It has only been on the high dose that it has brought my sugars down from 12/13 to 6/8.I do low carb and have been on the exercise bike for 20mins every day since starting the glucophage.I am pleased the sugars are falling but my weight has not changed at all I was told metformin probably wouldn't affect my weight but with low carbing and more exercise I am disappointed. Next review on Monday with DN .She did mention starting gliptins last time but I personally feel the longer term safety is unproven so am not keen at all.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App