Eggs - Good or Bad?

S

Sean01

Yes - lots of uncertainty here. But recent analysis is interesting:-

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2728487

Each half an egg eaten per day increased risk of cardiovascular disease 6%, each 300 mg cholesterol eaten per day was associated with a 17% increase in CVD. The effect of eggs disappeared when one adjusts for the whole cholesterol intake (including the eggs) suggesting that it is the cholesterol in the eggs that is the problem. The study does not look at the blood cholesterol levels, but rather at the putative adverse outcomes of cardiovascular disease or death (which are true hard outcomes ).
I like my full English breakfast, so this is a blow. :(
OK, I read the summary of the report. I know nothing about chicken raising in the USA and I don't know if the gees being free range or 'factory' makes a difference. I'm not saying the evidence is wrong - i'm a scientist - I like evidence but maybe there are other factors at play - life is complicated. 12-20 eggs a day - currently 4 yolks a day as part of a diet that does not shy away from fats, but I exercise enough every day at levels that would make a normal person faint - just reading what I go through. Don't give up your fried breakfasts!!! A combination of diet AND hard exercise works for me. I could not imagine life without eggs. I was actually weened on raw egg and brandy when I was a baby - currently a 54 year old competing strongman - competing against people half my age!

The world is full of studies - don't read too much into them. Good luck
Sean