Eggs & my kidneys

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
OK I'm really looking forward to all these cooked breakfasts I'll soon be eating on my reduced carb diet, but still have concerns regarding eggs. My nephrologist says I have some renal disease, but "nothing to be too concerned about at this stage", a good GFR and very little proteinuria. I was advised a couple of years ago to avoid further excessive damage to my kidneys by limiting egg consumption to just 1 each week :(.

Has someone been telling me porkies? Do I start ordering in the duck eggs and smoked salmon (can't wait for that treat every morning!) :).

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Kegs,

As I understand it eggs are a rich source of protein, after your body uses the protein in the foods you eat, a waste product called urea is made and if you have lost kidney function you may not be able to get rid of the urea properly. Whilst protein is an essential element of any diet it might be advisable to watch the protein content of your diet so that a build up of urea does not occur.

If there are any low carb dieters with kidney problems out there they will be able to help you better than I can. From the information you have given us my suggestion would be to ask for a referral to a dietitian stressing that your goal is better BG control.

Regards, Tubs.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
I agree that a high protein diet may not cause kidney problems, but if you have some kidney disease already what about build up of urea? According to Wikipedia high concentrations of urea in the blood can damage other organs.

Regards, Tubs.

sixfoot

Kegstore Im with tubs on this. Given that you already have the kinds of comps that Lo Carb is aimed at preventing i would say that you are very much in the hands of your medical team. Lo Carb means protein is a composite part of the diet.
I have no qualification to give medical advice but would say give it a bit more thought.

Best Wishes
Dave P

kegstore

Dislikes
You guys are great, I will continue my research and report back when I have more info :mrgreen: Any other T1s with minor kidney issues on a low carb diet? Trying desperately not to narrow the parameters too far!

Trinkwasser

The major source of kidney damage as I understand it is bombardment by high levels of glucose. This may over time damage the filtration membranes which then allow protein through. Once that has happened authorities vary on whether or not further protein intake will actually worsen the damage or whether priority #1 is to keep the BG in check.

Once kidney damage has passed a certain point then restricting protein is necessary. As to whether or not you have reached that threshold I'd suggest getting more than one opinion.

kegstore

Dislikes
That's my understanding too and as you say, opinions are split on dietary advice for this scenario, just for a change! Further investigations required, watch this space...

deadwood2

A man after my own heart, Kegs!

Kippers are your friend, too! Finnan Haddie, even!! Eggs, bacon, half a round of toast, tomatoes, mushrooms, and maybe a baked bean... And all virtually carb free. (OK, not really, really, but we can dream, can't we?)

Happy days are here again!!!

Black pudding looks a bit sus, statisically speaking, though - even if it's dancing down the road singing "eat me".

Can't win 'em all, eh :?

Funny how one's outlook changes, init?!