Eggs

Bergkamp777

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you please tell me if boiled eggs are ok to have daily and how many per week

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion they are one of the few Wonder Foods and great to eat.

Eat as many as you like I would say.

I eat 10 or more a week.

Reactions: 3 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi there, well I eat at least 14 boiled eggs every week, I also eat omelette and scrambled eggs at least once a week too. I've done this for almost a year now with no ill-effects. Eggs are very low carbohydrate and an excellent, nutritious food. Good luck!

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I like variety in my diet, so couldn't face eggs every day, but i consider them an excellent and nutritious food.

Thankfully that nonsense about eggs being baaad and unhealthy has been thoroughly debunked.

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I would like variety too @Brunneria but unfortunately I suffer from another health problem which means that my diet is severely limited to just a few foods. I am VERY grateful for hens' eggs

Emg23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've definitely increased the amount of eggs in my diet since being diagnosed two years ago with no problems,I don't eat them every day but when stuck for meal ideas it's often something with eggs.

Reactions: 4 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love eggs anyway I can get. I eat two or three most weeks. If my bs is running a little high for some reason or another, eggs are very gentle on it. Usually lowers me a bit.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eggs are awesome! Fill your boots with them.

For variety: line a ramekin with streaky bacon, crack and egg in it, salt and pepper and cheese on top then bake in the oven.

Grant

Reactions: 4 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I nearly always have eggs for breakfast. Either scrambled, omelette or poached. Get some variety by chucking different veg into the omelette and get some veg in early in the day.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love my eggs ate loads of them - but now I have developed an egg allergy so they are off the menu! I am devastated- silly I know but miss them so much - really craving my soft boiled egg and asparagus soldiers for brekkie

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I eat about 12 eggs a week, the only way I Don, t eat them are being scrambled eggs and omelette, as the smell of them turns my stomach

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I love my eggs ate loads of them - but now I have developed an egg allergy so they are off the menu! I am devastated- silly I know but miss them so much - really craving my soft boiled egg and asparagus soldiers for brekkie

That's unfortunate, did the allergy just come about suddenly @lovinglife

I love eggs, probably eat at least 8 a week.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have around 14 eggs a week, possibly more when I think about it. Always soft or hard boiled, fried or poached. Like @ally1 I'm not a lover of either scrambled or omelettes. Full of goodness.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What about the cholesterol factor?

Our bodies make our cholesterol, or at least the vast majority of it, because every cell in our body needs it. Very little comes from the food we eat. That old rubbish about eggs and other foods containing cholesterol was debunked a long time ago. Thank goodness. We can all "go to work on an egg" like we used to be able to in the good old days.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To add to my post above, if we deprive ourselves of foods containing cholesterol our bodies will make up the difference, so we have the same amount floating about whether we eat eggs and the rest or not.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's unfortunate, did the allergy just come about suddenly @lovinglife

I love eggs, probably eat at least 8 a week.
Over a couple of months probably - I noticed I always had a bit of a gripe in my tummy - rather like a hunger pain even though I wasn't hungry. Then I sort of started to associate it with after I had eggs so knocked them out for a couple of weeks and the pain went.

Tried some scrambled egg and pain came back but much worse - repeated the abstain then eat test and the same happened but the pain was even worse - spoke to GP and he said definitely sounded like an egg allergy and I could be tested - I seem to be ok if it's an ingredient like in Mayo but to eat them as eggs not so - not to keen to try them again as the pain got worse each time. I do miss them:(

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Eggs are my go to when I just don't want to think about it or am too lazy to really cook. I keep a carton of boiled eggs in the fridge for grab and go. I also buy small cartons of liquid whole eggs for omelettes as I can just pour in the pan until it looks right. I like an extremely thin omelette with a bit of ham and cheese or veggies placed on a low carb wrap with mayo and rolled up.