Empagliflozin and Ozempic

fatbill717

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've posted before about my meds, which have changed a lot this year.
I have Parkinson's, T2 and one or two other problems. I was on Metformin tablets (2× 850 per day) for a long time, but my Parkinson's made swallowing the tablets very difficult, so I was changed to liquid Metformin, which made me nauseous and gave me diarrohea.
After a gap, during which time my BG levels rocketed, I was put on Sitagliptin, which had no visible effect.
I now take Empagliflozin, 25mg per day, which has brought my BG levels down to more realistic levels.
The clinic has now started me on Ozempic, self-injecting once a week - currently .25mg, rising eventually to 1mg.
Is anyone else taking a similar combination, and if so are any side-effects noticeable?
I know I should ask more questions of the doctors/nurses, but my Parkinson's seems to make me more open to suggestion, so I accept situations without question.
I'd just like to hear from someone on the same combination for reassurance.

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Parkinson's, T2 and one or two other problems. I was on Metformin tablets (2× 850 per day) for a long time, but my Parkinson's made swallowing the tablets very difficult, so I was changed to liquid Metformin, which made me nauseous and gave me diarrohea.
After a gap, during which time my BG levels rocketed, I was put on Sitagliptin, which had no visible effect.
I now take Empagliflozin, 25mg per day, which has brought my BG levels down to more realistic levels.
The clinic has now started me on Ozempic, self-injecting once a week - currently .25mg, rising eventually to 1mg.
Is anyone else taking a similar combination, and if so are any side-effects noticeable?
I know I should ask more questions of the doctors/nurses, but my Parkinson's seems to make me more open to suggestion, so I accept situations without question.
Exactly the same meds given to me. Been T2 a long time, had everything thrown at me over the years. Am on insulin and empagliflozin plus last week I was prescribed ozempic starting with .25ml. I was supposed to start that today but after reading the side effects I chickened out as it doesn't take much to upset my stomach anyway. I too was looking for reassurance when I found your post. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you.

D

Deleted member 538891

Hi their i am om Empagaflozin for diabetes 10mg 1 per day didnt know you could jave it in a higher dose regime.
Yes i am on Ozempic 1 injection weekly i have now lost 5kg in Weight i am really pleased about.
Hope you have something similar if you need it i definatley do.

Sparklebrightisright62.

finzi1966

I’m on metformin and dapaglifozin (same stuff as you) and started Ozempic about a month ago. I love it. Have lost about 7kg, dawn phenomenon almost eliminated, average BG according to Libre down from 7.5 to 6.1 (I know that doesn’t sound a big drop, but I’d been stuck at 7.5 for ages despite lowering carbs to <20mg per day.

I’ve had no side effects (aside from weight loss and decreased hunger).

The injection is *entirely* painless, I promise - nothing like doing a finger prick.

The only thing is there is a *certain* amount of dexterity needed, not for giving the shot itself (that’s just pressing a big button at the top of the pen) but for attaching the needle to the pen (you have to peel the lid off the little needle pot, and then screw it onto the pen. Would you manage this?)

*Gingerwine*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am T2. I was taking Emplagliflozin until recently. I had an upset stomach for a few days, nausea and no appetite. Then sudden explosive vomiting. Luckily my husband took me to A&E. I was in DKA! I nearly died. They hooked me up to 4 drips (not nice) I was in for 5 days. No more Eplagliflozin, they think that is what caused it.
They started me on insulin, only a very low dose. The consultant has now put me on Ozempic. I had my first injection yesterday, he said I should be able to stop the insulin soon. Hope so.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently on Dapagliflozin, metformin, gliclicide and dulagutide (trulicity) which I was switched onto a month ago from sitagliptin. The aim is to get me off of the glic. So far it's going well, definitely noticed the appetite suppressant effects, and feeling fuller more quickly, but whether I've lost any weight is another thing. The trulicity comes in a pre-loaded pen, so no faffing with attaching a needle, just remove to top, press against your skin, unlock and push. Hurts less than a finger prick!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any of the "flozins" come with a warning not to decrease carbs too rapidly as there is a risk of dka. I assume there's the same risk if weight is decreased too quickly. It's all in the small print on the tablet leaflets.
Carb reduction while on flozins should be done slowly over many weeks rather than quick or cold turkey, and one assumes doses could be amended accordingly
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/dapagliflozin/

*Gingerwine*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had my 2nd .25mg Ozempic injection yesterday. Wow it is so powerful, totally takes away my appetite and I feel nauseous all the time. I take gaviscon at night for the fierce heartburn. I am dreading increasing to .50 after 4 weeks. Does it get any better?

I want to enjoy my Christmas dinner tomorrow :(