ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am about 3 stone overweight & don't want it to get any higher! Will book an appointment with my GP & see if the gliclizide can be removed & perhaps a referral to a dietician as all the advice seems to have changed since I was first diagnosed. BGs vary from 3.5 to 11.9 daily sometimes higher
Yes gliclizide has weight gain as a side effect so removing that med will really make a difference. I wish I'd never taken it, but to be honest it stop working for me as my carb limit had gone through the roof in a time of burn out. Nothing was going to work.
I've bounced back but even endocrologist won't prescribe it to me again now I'm losing weight. Insulin gets bad press for weight gain, but I lose on it when on right diet and right amount. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about gliclizide.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Both gliclizide and insulin will have the same effect on weight gain, but insulin is easier to change your own dose, unlike gliclizide when nurses tell you to eat more carbs to much the dose the doctor set.

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am about 3 stone overweight & don't want it to get any higher! Will book an appointment with my GP & see if the gliclizide can be removed & perhaps a referral to a dietician as all the advice seems to have changed since I was first diagnosed. BGs vary from 3.5 to 11.9 daily sometimes higher

For some reasons that I can’t put my finger on, the first thought when reading your post was intermittent fasting based on the work of Dr Jason Fung, if you search for him you will find lots of videos and blog posts. He has also written a book on fasting, his book is a bit easier to read than his blog posts, but does not add much to them. (Personally, I think his book is worth the price as reading it is quicker than finding/reading all his blog posts.)

I am thinking of something like:
  • Stop the gliclizide (keep taking the jardiance)
  • 24 hr later, start a 3 day fast with drinking bone broth and lots of water
  • then switch to 23hr fasts when you replace two meals of the day with bone broth
I expect that by the end of the 3 day fast you BG would be down to reasonable levels, and the one lowest carb meal a day will allow your BG to remain low while you lose weight.

The other option is the Newcastle Diet – see the “Blood Sugar Diet” book for details on how to do it, along with the many current threads of people doing it. Once again stop the gliclizide one day before starting it, most people get normal BG levels in less than 1 week even when they stop all drugs, so if you keep taking the jardiance for the first week of the diet you should get normal BG levels within days of starting it. Talk to your doctor about taking jardiance while on the Newcastle Diet and if you should restart jardiance after the 8 weeks.

muppet65

Type of diabetes
Type 2