Empagliflozin

SunilS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on insulin (NovoRapid) and Metformin. Have read good reports about Emapagliflozin.

Is anyone on this drug, and more so as combination with insulin. If yes, has there been any benefit?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on insulin (NovoRapid) and Metformin. Have read good reports about Emapagliflozin.

Is anyone on this drug, and more so as combination with insulin. If yes, has there been any benefit?
I would suggest that the action of an SGLT-2 medication requires a working pancreas to provide the benefit. All this med does is force the GLP-1 hormone to request constant demand for insulin from the beta cells. It will do nothing IMO to reduce Insulin resistance. If you are in honeymoon period there may be a small benefit, but be aware that this med is not entirely benign, and it does have some nasty side effects. If your pancreas output is weak this may thrash the beta cells harder, leading to premature beta cell aptosis. (burnout)

Mr Fernando

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I’m on the following

Insulin Abasaglar KwikPen - 35 units - Evening
Metformin 500mg x2 - twice daily
Jardice Empagliflozin 10mg - 1 daily

Since starting the Empagliflozin which I have been on for roughly 2 years, I had noticed the following.

- sugar levels dropped quite a bit so had to adjust insulin
- helped my sugar levels to remain in single figures

It’s helped bring my long term sugar level down. My older sister who is type one has just started it and she speaks highly of it. You would benefit from it I think so potentially speak to your health care service and see if they want you to go on it.

Good luck!