Emphaglozin

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a question for the guys, did you have any problems when taking emphaglozin?
A quick google search on "empagliflozin and ED" (assuming that's what you're asking about) shows there are studies suggesting erectile dysfunction can improve on empagliflozin.

ED can be a result of diabetes though, it happens quite often. If your issues only started since starting the empagliflozin I'd definitely take this up with your doctor, and regardless of the cause, your doctor may be able to help you with your issue.

Reactions: Jacko5758

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking Jardiance (empagliflozin) now for over 3 years (May 22, 2019), and I have not had any problems with it. However, some of my friends have developed infections/thrush after starting Jardiance - none of them are circumcised though.

Reactions: Jacko5758

Craig20

I’ve just started taking empagliflozin a few weeks ago as my previous drug Gliclazide was causing too many hypos.
My doctor did warn me about possible urinary tract infections, touch wood I should be ok.
I’ve only heard good things about it so far….. fingers crossed

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Flatulence per extreme. Like an artillery barrage during WW1. No way I can blame it on the fur baby.

soreness in the skin around the anus, which is not piles but could be fissures, Trying to see my GP about this since concerned it may be the start of Fournieres gangrene,

Raised ketones, that fluctuate. Not a concern yet but advise you invest in some urine test strips for peace of mind.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that Fournieres gangrene is extremely extremely extremely rare. However, one should not disregard that it could be a side-effect. Orginally,my kidney doctor suggested invokana, but my diabetes doctor decided on Jardiance. The only advice that I got was to ensure that I stayed hydrated. As stated above, no issues/problems for more than 3 years!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My understanding is that Fournieres gangrene is extremely extremely extremely rare. However, one should not disregard that it could be a side-effect. Orginally,my kidney doctor suggested invokana, but my diabetes doctor decided on Jardiance. The only advice that I got was to ensure that I stayed hydrated. As stated above, no issues/problems for more than 3 years!
This is a report from one rural hospital where 12 cases were reported amongst patiens on this med. That is quite a cluster
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7852914/
The fact that I have developed a sore skin area between the anus and the scrotum could be due to the med, or me using sandpaper instead of gentle tissues, which is how it feels. I have never suffered anything like this before even after the hottest curries or spiciest chilli beans.

Apparently there were 55 confirmed med induced cases in the first 5 years after producr licencing and launch. Fournieres used to be something only men were at risk of, but the SGLT-2 manufacturers report it is now occurring in women too when using these drugs and the warning is for the complete class of medication, not just one or two.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5c66c978ed915d4a397873d5/SGLT2-DHPC-Jan-2019.pdf

Reactions: MaviesDavies2

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Considering the number of people taking SGLT-2, I still think that that Fournieres Gangrene is extremely rare. Concerning the cluster of 12 patients in a rural hospital, hopefully there was some thorough investigation in order to fined some commonality responsible for this.

However, one should be extremely concerned about any possible infection in the nether regions, and see one's medical provider without delay!