Employers risk assessments for pregnant diabetics

annamillhouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I wondered whether anyone had any experiences of how employers deal with pregnancy in diabetic women?

I understand that a risk assessment has to be carried out for all mums to be, but what impact does diabetes have on this, and what recommendations might be made?

The reason for the question is that I'm thinking about trying for a baby next year, but have an exceptionally busy and stressful job as an events manager, which involves a lot of running around, crazy days and late nights at the events - which I know wont be very compatibile with pregnancy, let alone with diabetes too!

Any info or helpful web pages would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

Anna

Elc1112

Hi Anna. Firsty, congratulations on the pregnancy! You just be over the moon.

With regards to risk assessments... Your employer will have to do an assessment now that you are pregnant. This is just to establish any potential risks that may come up and to make sure that you are both aware of the steps that need to be taken to minimise them. You might be advised, for example, to avoid heavy lifting etc. Nothin to worry about. It's worth re-emphasising to your employer that you are diabetic, just so they have it down on record. The fact that you are diabetic really shouldn't make any huge difference here. Along ad they know win you need time off for appointments and any special considerations that you need to take then you'll be fine.

Anyway, good luck with it all! I used to work in events management myself so know all too well how manic it can be!

Enjoy your sleep while you can! ;)

sugar2

Hi, Ican only tell you what happen with me.

When pregnant with 1st baby, employer did a risk assessment. This was no different from that for any other pregnant lady.

This was reasessed due to my diabetes, at the point where my diabetes had an impact on my pregnancy and my job. I lost hypo awareness, adn work then sent me to occupational health, who advised that I did not work alone, evefr. This was specifically becasu eof the loss of hypo symptoms, and not becasue I was pregnant.

At the time I worked in a lab, often, while not alone, not with anyone else within shouting distance. The risk assessment was mainly based around chemical and any impact on baby.

For my second baby, I had changed job, and, mainly sat in teh office on teh phone, although I was also on the road alot. There was no need 2nd time round for the fact that I was diabetic, mean I needed an extra risk assessment.

For yourself, I suspect it will be similar. The fact that you are pregnant will need need to be assessed. In theory, your diabetes will not have any more impact than it does today. Of course, like for me, this may not be the case all the time, but unless you have a specific issue, that needs to be assessed, I don't think any extra measures, other than the normal pregnant lady ones needs to be done, in the early days.

All the very best of luck!

annamillhouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks people for your replies! Much appreciated.... Just to point out I've not actually reached the point of getting pregnant just yet, but hopefully this will happen soon, I just want to be super aware of the pitfalls and prepared for what's to come!

Best wishes

Anna