End of a truly bad day....

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I woke up around 5:00am to find I was hyperglycemic. 14.9! So I had 12 units of Novorapid to lower it. I checked again at 9:00am to find I was still at 11.4. So I had something to eat regardless to avoid a hypo. Started the shift at one, felt ok, so I carried on. Very busy shift with no time to check glucose levels. Became irritable and clumsy around 2:30pm. Someone told me I should take a time out. I went upstairs, it felt like climbing Everest. I noticed that at this point, I was foul tempered and confused, stumbling about and tripping over my own feet! The meter registered HIGH!!. How did I let myself get here?

After two weeks of chronic staff shortages, long shifts and stress, I had completely gone off the rails! It is too easy to forget insulin and put yourself in danger. Employers do not understand the demands of this condition, and how easy it is to put yourself in peril. I myself am just as much to blame. I need to take greater control, to make it clear that I have a serious life threatening illness that needs attention regardless of the situation.

I now find that people I am working with are starting to see changes in behaviour and warning signs of hypo/hyperglycemia. Emotional and cognitive function alter in these moments, thank God people are becoming aware.

My last glucose count was 6.3...I am safe again.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Because I am in a high stress environment, it has become extremely difficult to balance all my requirements to maintain balance. This has got to stop, and soon!