Endocrinologist info.

Jugster

I currently live in the USA and am returning to the UK to live. I have been on a pump for 16 years and wish to continue with Insulin Pump Therapy when I return home. I am having difficulty finding out information on a good doctor in the Darlington area who has experience with Pump Therapy.
Also how hard is it to get on a pump in the UK. I have been using only a quick acting insulin in my pump (humalog) and was wondering if that is the genral practice in the UK.
I would appreciate any information anyone can provide to make this transition easier.
Thank You

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Input are very helpful indeed.

Regarding insulin type, I'm fairly certain the USA and UK are in line with each other and rapid acting is the normal prescription for a pump. Humalog is definitely available under the same name. The only difference is in bg testing which you will probably know about already, UK scale is mmol/l compared to USA's mg/dl. To convert just divide mg/dl or multiply mmol/l by 18.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you come to live here, you will expect to register with a general practice, for which you pay through your National Insurance charge. Pump therapy is likely to be through the diabetic clinc, probably linked to the District Hospital.
You can Google for hospitals in the area you are moving to and find what services they provide.
Since you will want to continue with your current treatment seamlessly, I'd ask the US consular service for advice.
Hana

jopar

I use humalog in my insulin pump, so you be ok there

As to what happens where you get over this side of the pond...

assuming that you have entitlement to NHS...

When you register with the GP, they will refer you to the diabetic clinic/consultant..

As you are already on the pump (and very established on it) then they can't insist you stop using it.. But they will have to put in for the funding from the PCT..

This will mean that you won't have any cover/funding why this is being sorted out..

You will need to bring a good supply of with you, in the hope that it will tie you over.. What happens to if you run out, then the consultant can sign the prescription that enables you to order the supplies from the company but you will have to foot the bill until you get pct funding sorted..

I would suggest that you e-mail INPUT as hopefully they will be able to give you more information about whats involved, they can at least tell you which will be your nearest pump clinic/consultant in the area that you are going to live.. Which would be helpful when you register with GP, as you can ask to be refered stright to the right place

Jugster

Dear Jopar,
Thank you for your help. I will make sure to try and bring as many supplies home with me when I leave the States.
Glad to know Humalog is available.
Appreciate all the info.
J