Endurance Sport - Need Bolus Regardless?

bluepotter81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I’m Type 1 diabetic. Animas pump.

I can go long cycles (+4hrs); reduce my basal rate by -90% and take no bolus at the start of exercise. On doing this, I can keep my bloods between 6-10 mmol/L.

My question is: despite my bloods remaining well controlled for the duration (4-5hrs), I start to majorly hit a wall after 3hrs. Now this may be down to general fitness but it feels different. So, yes good bloods, but I don’t eat that much during the exercise. Should I still be taking some bolus and eating more (risking hypo) so that there’s insulin in my body. In other words, do I need to get more insulin in my system regardless of good bloods over such a long period of exercise?

Anyone else have this?

Thanks,
Richard

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’m Type 1 diabetic. Animas pump.

I can go long cycles (+4hrs); reduce my basal rate by -90% and take no bolus at the start of exercise. On doing this, I can keep my bloods between 6-10 mmol/L.

My question is: despite my bloods remaining well controlled for the duration (4-5hrs), I start to majorly hit a wall after 3hrs. Now this may be down to general fitness but it feels different. So, yes good bloods, but I don’t eat that much during the exercise. Should I still be taking some bolus and eating more (risking hypo) so that there’s insulin in my body. In other words, do I need to get more insulin in my system regardless of good bloods over such a long period of exercise?

Anyone else have this?

Thanks,
Richard
Technically you should have insulin on board at all times. However, you still have 10% of your original basal so you should be fine I assume. Regardless, you should pay close attention to your energy levels! I would be more concerned about losing weight unless that's your goal.

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
your blood sugars might be ok but your will be running on empty after about 90mins if you have no food so it will be allot harder i did it once when i forgot my levimer before a 100 mile cycle and couldent really eat anything for the whole ride as my blood suger didnt want to dip below 20 wastnt much fun