Energy gels/glucose tablets.

Clarabella

Hello there everyone.,

I'm after a bit of advice on mid-workout energy/carb supplements.

I'm enjoy running as a hobby and recently turned my mileage up a bit, running a few 10ks (sub one hour) and I am due to run my first half marathon in a month.

On running the Cardiff 10k today I felt my self slow down considerably at about 7-8k and had to munch through several horrid chalky glucose tablets to keep my pace up.

I was worried I may have gone the other way and flooded my blood with sugar but when I finished the race my blood sugars were only 10mmol despite all the glucose tablets. This may be an indication of my blood sugar being considerably lower mid race.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using energy gels/tablets for distance running? Any advice on brands/which ones to get? My dietician has advised I have approx 20g carbs per 30 mins of running.

Also should I be reducing my insulin a little on the mornings of race day?

Many thanks!

Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Energy gels/glucose tablets.

I'll 'bump' this post up for you Clarabella.

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

HI Clarabella

What I've found so far through trail and a lot of error is, that i currently just use a carb supplement in my drink for 5-10K distance. In longer run's I've also add jelly babies along the run, have only once tried gel's and found they where just as good, easier to carry but a lot more sticky than the jelly babies. Still haven't made my mind up on which to use myself.

With regards to the insulin, I've always reduced my basal prior to the run and my bolus afterwards for up to the next 48hrs.

Everyone reacts differently so trail and error will play a big part, but mostly have fun and be safe.

Clarabella

Thanks very much for the advice. I will be turning down my basal for longer runs in the future. I think I'll look into a carb supplement for my drink also. Seems like an easier way of keeping blood sugars stable.

Thank guys!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I would recomend hypostop over dexrogel as it tastes foul. cant help on the running parts tho. Well done!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I go with gels (20-30g carbs each) or various energy bars based on nuts/oats/dried fruits which tend to be a bit slower release.

Dave

HarriP2

Hey, I can't stomach the texture of the gels or tablets when I'm running but I've found that the lucozade jelly beans they do now are pretty good. Just personal preference of course but may be worth a try :)

Adan Bailey

I run almost 6 Kilometers everyday and lots of energy wastes. My doctor suggested me to use energy drinks and other items to recover it. I think glucose tablets are best for me to fulfill the required level of energy.

Scales Store

slaterk

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I use Clif Shot Blocks and GU energy gels. Both are very tasty and easy to take. I've worked out that I need about 8-10 grams of carbs for every 1/2 hour of exercise through trial and error / monitoring.

Fraddycat

I cycle, and during the London to Brighton I took dried fruit Bear Yoyos - they are 10 carbs per yoyo and tasty. I also had 2 or 3 pecan nuts every hour or so.