Energy

slimblackman1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Does high or low blood glucose cause fatigue? My energy level at times is really low. I literally have to go lay down.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Does high or low blood glucose cause fatigue? My energy level at times is really low. I literally have to go lay down.
I know for me when I get low I feel very tired. It's a symptom of low blood sugar for me. Doesn't for high though. Different people feel different when there high or low.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Uncontrolled diabetes seems to fatigue most sufferers. I feel the more control, less sleeping but I do have medications for other health problems that fog my opinion?I guess any system not working properly in the human body would cause fatigue as your body I'is working harder to function.
Can you stablise your hypers and hypos with low carbing?

slimblackman1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ickihun, I'm actually dealing with another issue as well. I just recently had an ACDF, so it's really difficult for me to know what's causing the fatigue. It could be a combination of the BG and the operation. What's ironic is that it was the pre operation clearance is how I found out my BG was high.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@ickihun, I'm actually dealing with another issue as well. I just recently had an ACDF, so it's really difficult for me to know what's causing the fatigue. It could be a combination of the BG and the operation. What's ironic is that it was the pre operation clearance is how I found out my BG was high.
Yes, having other conditions haze what diabetes only is truely affecting what.
I've seen many posters say they are fatigued by hypos. I used to get bouts of exhaustion after fighting wayward bgs 15yrs ago.
I'm fatigued a lot nowadays due to so many meds and health conditions. Wayward bgs sometimes but fewer and fewer with low carb meals.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Low energy could be due to a number of factors.
wild fluctuations in blood sugar (sugar rush followed by sugar slump)
thyroid problems
adrenal problems
low iron
low vit D etc

What will help is eliminating any factors one by one e.g. stabilising blood sugars, asking your GP to test for low vitamin/mineral levels.
Over a decade before being dx'd hypothyroid, I started waking up tired, and used to go back to bed to catch up. It never worked.
Before my Diabetes diagnosis my tiredness/energy levels were undoubtedly also from sugar slumps. It all has to be untangled :(
Geoff

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not even sure if fatty liver which I have mildly is a cause of tiredness. I know most of my meds have tiredness as a side affect. My afternoon nap normally helps. More naps if I'm ill with a virus.
My underactive thyroid leaves me tired, betablockers leave me tired and asthma leaves me tired.
I'm surprised I'm ever awake. ;)
Oh and tramadol for pain definitely leaves me tired.
Any proceedure would too @slimblackman1 . Your recent op would definitely leave me tired for a few weeks. I hope you recover fully soon.
Diabetes is just the tip of the iceburg for some.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Lows fatigue because you've not got enough glucose to operate properly. Highs fatigue because although you've got plenty of glucose, absent insulin, or due to insulin resistance, it's literally not getting into cells to be burned as energy, just like a car with a full fuel tank won't get very far if there's a blockage in the fuel line and the fuel isn't getting to the engine.