Enlite Sensors

GeminiJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everybody I've been trialling the enlite sensors with my Medtronic 640g..apparently the sensors only last for 6 days and at £525 for a box of 10 will be very expensive to fund...anyone have any experience of getting a longer life out of these sensors??

Reactions: tircoed

ce81ar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I regularly tell the pump I have a 'new' sensor after 6 days. Best I have achieved is 19 days, but typically they started to give inconsistent readings at about day 10-14. When they start to fail, they have sudden 'drops' on the graph and you no longer get a smooth curve. I've found that the further ahead of the expiry date they are, the longer they last. I am very careful about making sure the site is clean and scrubbed with antiseptic before I insert any sensor and I also use IV3000 patches to keep them stuck in place through sport and showers etc.

Reactions: tircoed

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There is also a renewal scheme that Medtronic run that takes the sensor price down to about £42 per sensor. It's worth taking a look at that.

Reactions: GeminiJohn

GeminiJohn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, I regularly tell the pump I have a 'new' sensor after 6 days. Best I have achieved is 19 days, but typically they started to give inconsistent readings at about day 10-14. When they start to fail, they have sudden 'drops' on the graph and you no longer get a smooth curve. I've found that the further ahead of the expiry date they are, the longer they last. I am very careful about making sure the site is clean and scrubbed with antiseptic before I insert any sensor and I also use IV3000 patches to keep them stuck in place through sport and showers etc.

Interesting when you say you tell the pump you have a new sensor....do you just go into the menu and and override the new sensor warming??

Because yesterday when my 6 days was up the new sensor alert was showing....,the graph and latest sugar readings were then immediately inactive!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Interesting when you say you tell the pump you have a new sensor....do you just go into the menu and and override the new sensor warming??

Because yesterday when my 6 days was up the new sensor alert was showing....,the graph and latest sugar readings were then immediately inactive!
You take the transmitter off the sensor, recharge it and reattached it then simply do the "start new sensor" process on the pump. Presto - reusing the sensor.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I used to get 10, although I had a couple that I managed to restart twice.

Reactions: GeminiJohn