Erratic blood sugars

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How frustrating is this disease? I can do the same thing 2 days running and blood sugars can be all over the place. I seem to jog along quite nicely for a week or two, then have a complete aberration! An example was last weekend. We went out for dinner on Sat night, Spanish tapas, so fairly low carb, but 2 or 3 glasses of wine. My blood sugar was about 8mmol/l when I went to bed. On Sunday I ate my usual low carb food, did 2 dog walks and a little pottering in the garden. My BS kept going low, especially during walking and gardening. I injected less insulin at dinner time (6pm), and had a spike, but then it settled at about 7mmol/l, when i went to bed. At about 2am my BS started to go up, and I woke up with it at 15mmol/l! I found it really difficult to get it back down all day despite very low carbs and correction doses. The same on Tuesday. Today - Wednesday, it seems more like normal (for me)

Can it be that after the lows on Sunday my body responded by liver dumping glucose into my blood stream? Do other hormones come into play after a hypo?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @linda321 - there's a decent amount of research that shows that after a significant low, or multiple lows, the body continues to release glucose into the bloodstream from the liver for up to 36 hours after the low, so it's very possible that this is what happened.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
How frustrating is this disease? I can do the same thing 2 days running and blood sugars can be all over the place. I seem to jog along quite nicely for a week or two, then have a complete aberration! An example was last weekend. We went out for dinner on Sat night, Spanish tapas, so fairly low carb, but 2 or 3 glasses of wine. My blood sugar was about 8mmol/l when I went to bed. On Sunday I ate my usual low carb food, did 2 dog walks and a little pottering in the garden. My BS kept going low, especially during walking and gardening. I injected less insulin at dinner time (6pm), and had a spike, but then it settled at about 7mmol/l, when i went to bed. At about 2am my BS started to go up, and I woke up with it at 15mmol/l! I found it really difficult to get it back down all day despite very low carbs and correction doses. The same on Tuesday. Today - Wednesday, it seems more like normal (for me)

Can it be that after the lows on Sunday my body responded by liver dumping glucose into my blood stream? Do other hormones come into play after a hypo?
The body can trick you at every turn. I have been through this so many times. Don't panic because you can't stay within a designated level, you will have good and bad days. I have really good periods of control, then go completely off the dial. All you can do is maintain a regular routine. If you have doubt, seek professional assistance.