Evening meal time?

lynde89

Hi everyone!

I'm still trying to get my basal under wraps (almost there!). But was wondering what time you normally have your evening meal? I can have mine around 8pm sometimes, I know that's late but which everything else that seems to be the norm at the moment. But with a later meal & later boils this would affect my levels before bed & during he night more. I don't want to risk becoming hungry before bed again either if I eat earlier in the evening.

I'm reduced my basal to 25u Lantus last week, but still am dropping over night by about 6, sometimes more, & I still think this is too much of a drop? I know I usually hypo in the night if I go to sleep about 9.

Sorry for the random question, but I just wanted to see what other people do as far as evening meal wise.

Thanks!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat about 7-7.30 and go to bed at 10pm

Have you tried a fasting basal test? It will mean probably going to bed hungry a few nights though! Eat dinner 4 or 5 hours before bed to ensure there is no bolus left working. Then test and go to bed. Test again every couple of hours to see what's going on. Do that a few nights to see if its a pattern. Then reduce/increase your basal, wait 3 or 4 days for things to settle then do the test again. Repeat until your night time drops are gone!

That's how I set mine. I now move approx 0.5 a night maximum

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same advice as hale, thats what I did to ensure my basal was correct. Then, I could eat my dinner at normal time 6 ish and if hungry have some supper before bed knowing I would not hypo as my basal was correct. Obviously once your basal is correct you have to work on your meal qa ratios as these may change when you change your basal.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Try eating your evening meal earlier in the evening so that you know your bolus dose is exhausted before bed, after this time try testing your bg every 2-3 hours during the night, in theory if your basal dose is right it shouldn't fluctuate much by -/+ 1.5mmol, if it does then you need to adjust your lantus accordingly.

I eat my evening meal around 6-7pm, thereafter I don't eat till I wake at 6am, provided you eat enough calories in your main meal you shouldn't need to eat again before bed.

lynde89

I think I will try the dinner 4-5hours before bed. I normally go to bed/do my basal at 10pm too so that will mean having my main meal at work, but its definitely worth a shot!

I am trying to eat less carbs too which is really helping with my blood sugar levels, so I'll stock up on some steaks or something for a couple nights worth of dinners.

Did you all reduce by 1 unit at a time?

I had my meal a bit earlier this afternoon so it will be interesting to see if that affects it at all.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lynde89 said:
Did you all reduce by 1 unit at a time?[/url]

Yes, I would only adjust one unit at a time although I suspect you may have to drop your dose by around two units eventually, just remember that they recommend that you test over 2-3 nights before adjusting lantus insulin again.

lynde89

I will do, thanks for all the advice!!

I was originally on almost 50 units of Lantus, with my sugars all over the place! Almost half that now & feeling glad that I'm almost there :eek:D.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lynde89 said:
I will do, thanks for all the advice!!

I was originally on almost 50 units of Lantus, with my sugars all over the place! Almost half that now & feeling glad that I'm almost there :eek:D.

Well they say when you get your basal right your 50% there.......which is true!!!

Not many years ago I was on 36-40 units of lantus but now take 18-20 units, really think getting to grips with basal testing helps, this is where courses such as DAFNE are excellent in teaching patients all aspects of insulin management.

Reactions: EllieM