1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

EVENING not dawn phenomenon AKA am a T1 freak?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Jessitalia, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Jessitalia

Jessitalia Type 1 · Active Member

Hi again knowledgeable people,

We've just relocated to Asia and I'm job hunting so I've a lot of time to play with my Diabetes. I've been taking a break from the Libre due to sweating it off so today I've used my morning to input my BGs into the One Drop/ Apple Health app. I sort of did it because I think my Basal and I:C ratios need tweaking and I'm without a doctor, plus I've been Diabetic for 29 years. Between my experiences and the internet I feel I can grasp stuff (hollow laughter) . I wanted to see if there were trends that required Basal tweaking before I played with ratios.

The trend I see is that in the mornings till after lunch my BG is fairly perfect (for me). Then about 2-3 hours after injecting and eating lunch my sugars rise and stay like that till I test for dinner. They then come down and stay stable over night.

The dietitian I saw before I left wanted me to have a higher I:C carb ratio in the morning, then lower the ratios during the day but my husband and I were like "NO!", already sensing the post breakfast hypos. I'm glad I trusted my instincts.

I try to eat quite low carb (a challenge here!) but find I hypo if I go carb free. That's why I was interested in tweaking my basal (Tresiba in the morning after morning test/ before breakfast). Someone online aid you should be able to go 24 hours without eating if your basal is correct?! But she's a pumper and I'm a lowly MDIer.

So with that, 2 questions:
    Should I lower my basal a bit (if I'm going to sleep and waking up with great BG...)
    As my bloods are stable 8am-4pm is this an issue with my lunch time carb ratio?

2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the first step is a basal test rather than just reduce the basal blindly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jessitalia

Jessitalia Type 1 · Active Member

Aw no!! Trying to avoid that! Maybe I'll wait till I can get some skintac and use my Libre again.

4. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My initial reaction was that your lunch time ratio is out. however I'm with diakat on this - only a basal test will really help.

Even more so because of this comment:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would agree with Diakat on this one. Get your basal correct first and then make adjustments to your bolus and or ratios

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook