Eventually registered

melizh

Hi I have been browsing this website for several months now and have found most of the posts informative and interesting to read so I have eventually plucked up the courage to register and introduce myself. I was diagnosed Type 1 about 17 years ago and have managed my diabetes quite well over this period with HbA's of around 6.5 - 8.5, usually somewhere around 7ish and as yet have had no complications. For the last year or two however, I have found it more of a struggle and more likely than not have readings over 12 with my highest reading being just over 22 (not good) although my recent HbA's do not register this and the consultant reassures me that they are fine. I am trying to take more exercise, mostly walking and I am trying very hard to give up smoking (my umpteenth attempt). I have been trying to find out if any other females have been refused HRT due to their diabetes?

C

catherinecherub

Hi melizh,
There are plenty of Type 1's who will offer you advice regarding your management of your diabetes.
I am a type 2 and so it is not my remit.
With regard to H.R.T. There are many studies that have been done suggesting that H.R.T. for diabetics increases their likelihood of heart disease and you will find that some doctors are happy to prescribe it as nothing has been proven but some are reluctant because of the possible risks. In one study only 30% said that they would prescribe. If you google, H.R.T. diabetes, you will see some of the studies.

Hope this helps.
Catherine.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Melizh and welcome to the forum.

Among our regular contributors are many type 1s who I am sure will be pleased to answer any questions that you might want answers to.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome to the forum,ask as many questions as u need :D