Eversense Cgm

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I don’t know much about eversense as a cgm, but it’s available here. And I’ve got a dialogue going with a rep for the cgm system which is planted under the skin. I’m kind of excited to not have things poke through my body, but this thing still has an active transmitter that tapes on the skin.

So what are good questions that I should ask the rep? One of my concerns is what if it goes bad after it’s inserted? Like a bad sensor. Another was what if I develop some skin burning from the sensor and it needs to be removed ASAP. How well will this thing under my skin fair through scanning at an airports security?

I did ask what happens if the sensor starts relocating itself over time, like a micro chip on a pet? Sometimes those chips move from on top of the back to the side of the body, and sometimes finish in the animals arm. They aren’t attached to anything, and neither is this eversense sensor.

What are other good questions? Who wants to know something about this new thing that I could/should ask the rep?

My doctor isn’t thrilled that I’m engaging them. I don’t think she wants to be responsible for opening the skin and placing in a sensor every 90 days.

Coopsy91

im intrigued to find out about this sensor also, i read a post earlier criticizing the accuracy of its measurements so looking for some more definitive answers. Are you in the UK ? How are you going about ordering or getting the sensor? How much are you paying for it?

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I’m not from the UK. So I’m an out-of-towner.

I don’t have a clue what the device will cost. I let them talk to my insurance carrier, so maybe they are deterring if they’ll get paid 1st. My carrier stepped up really early in the cgm learning curve and let me try it a very long time ago. And I didn’t find it reliable at all. Interstitial fluid measurements are not blood sugar measurements. For some these things work; others not so much. I’m just wonder about this new one.

I thought the thing was neat that the sending unit vibrates if the blood sugar goes lo. So one wounded the reciever to see a number. For me, I like my sleeping so if that thing started wiggling my arm at night I’d probably pull it off in my sleep.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The only thing I've found about pricing is in the youtube video at link below at 13 mins in. Starter kit is said to be £2940 for the eversense xl which lasts 180 days. So that's erm, deep breath, £490 per month... Plus £500 insertion fee to the doctor. And it sounds like that involves a trip to London as there's currently only one doc trained to insert.

Then £1540 for each new sensor, so £256 per month. Plus another £500 for the doctor.

I was quite interested in it from the point of view that if I was to head off backpacking for a few months, it would save the hassle of carting lots of libre boxes around with me, but at the reported prices, sorry, no.

Also, a common T1 complication is slow wound healing, so I'm not sure they've thought through the implications of cutting a large hole in the arm. Don't watch the insertion video linked below if you're squeamish! It's like Hannibal Lecter developed an interest in cgm...

@Jollymon makes a good point about what happens if it's a bad sensor. Libre, fine, rip it off, attach a new one. Eversense, another trip to London.

All in all, good idea, but ahead of its time.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What is the language of the people in the sales video? English is dubbed over it. If I can figure that out, maybe more information is available in that country. Like failure modes.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What is the language of the people in the sales video? English is dubbed over it. If I can figure that out, maybe more information is available in that country. Like failure modes.

I think the company behind it, Senseonics, is American.

There's a brief report at link below saying in tests with the 90 day version, "Ninety-one percent of sensors were functional through day 90."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29381090/