Every Lidl helps ...

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My local Lidl had run out of high-protein rolls yesterday so I asked the chap on the baking section if they'd be making any more and he promised to set aside a dozen for me in the next batch. When I went back in 45 mins there they were on a tray beside the oven, nice and warm. Good customer service there. I told him the rolls were a boon to some diabetics and he was surprised, of course.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree - they don't seem to know how important these things are to us.....maybe they could do with a bit of discrete advice? They could certainly market them in a more focused way - but they would have to make more to ensure that they didn't run out before I got there....:hungry:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The protein rolls were on offer in my local Lidl a week or so ago. I have a couple on the freezer, should I suddenly "need" one, but I don't bother with any bread these days.

Reactions: Pipp

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been LCHF for some 5 years and never bothered with any sort of bread / bread substitute, I went out to buy a High Protein bread roll from my local LIDL in Spain to reply to an enquirer on here and I am sad to say I am hooked! I bought 2 more today and for dinner we had mixed pates, fine French cheeses, half a tomato, half a stick of cucumber a few olives and two thin slices, cut vertically, of the LIDL bread roll spread with wonderful artisan butter with sea salt flakes, it seems like such an indulgence, I hadn't even realised I missed bread!

I hope this isn't the start of a slippery slope! I'm sure it was easier to 'Just say no!'.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The protein rolls were on offer in my local Lidl a week or so ago. I have a couple on the freezer, should I suddenly "need" one, but I don't bother with any bread these days.
Rub it in, why don't you!
;)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been LCHF for some 5 years and never bothered with any sort of bread / bread substitute, I went out to buy a High Protein bread roll from my local LIDL in Spain to reply to an enquirer on here and I am sad to say I am hooked! I bought 2 more today and for dinner we had mixed pates, fine French cheeses, half a tomato, half a stick of cucumber a few olives and two thin slices, cut vertically, of the LIDL bread roll spread with wonderful artisan butter with sea salt flakes, it seems like such an indulgence, I hadn't even realised I missed bread!

I hope this isn't the start of a slippery slope! I'm sure it was easier to 'Just say no!'.

That is exactly what I have been thinking. Living quite happily without bread, so if I happen to try a Lidl roll, then like it, but can't get to a Lidl store for more, then I would be likely to crave bread. Any bread. A slippery slope to addiction for me. Hence my aforementioned, Lidl protein roll envy.

Reactions: Ultramum

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is exactly what I have been thinking. Living quite happily without bread, so if I happen to try a Lidl roll, then like it, but can't get to a Lidl store for more, then I would be likely to crave bread. Any bread. A slippery slope to addiction for me. Hence my aforementioned, Lidl protein roll envy.
Strangely, I don't find that to be true....I used to eat loads of bread, but on "D-Day" I stopped dead. Since had the Lidl rolls, but don't find myself compelled to eat them to excess - usually have 1 a week. I just find they make a very pleasant addition to my usual LCHF diet - very good with bacon, cheese, pate etc.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My local Lidl had run out of high-protein rolls yesterday so I asked the chap on the baking section if they'd be making any more and he promised to set aside a dozen for me in the next batch. When I went back in 45 mins there they were on a tray beside the oven, nice and warm. Good customer service there. I told him the rolls were a boon to some diabetics and he was surprised, of course.
My local Lidl staff are great like that too, after I explained that they were great for diabetics, and if I ask them to save me half a dozen, they happily do! :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Strangely, I don't find that to be true....I used to eat loads of bread, but on "D-Day" I stopped dead. Since had the Lidl rolls, but don't find myself compelled to eat them to excess - usually have 1 a week. I just find they make a very pleasant addition to my usual LCHF diet - very good with bacon, cheese, pate etc.
Thanks, @Deespee23
I don't trust my addictive nature enough. Maybe, one day. Meantime I will just have the extra bacon or cheese.
:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I admit to being totally addicted. Occasionally my Lidl has run out but I always make sure I go well before I run out of them. If I get down to 2 or 3 in my freezer I am agitated until I get some more. I live in complete fear of Lidl withdrawing them.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised they actually knew what "a dozen" was.

One time, when passing through the checkout, there was a young lad on the till and I had a load of milk in my trolley. Rather than take each one out separately, I simply took one out, pointed to them and said (unthinking, like) "there's a dozen of those". He just gawped at me, and asked "what's a dozen"? ?? o_O

Don't you feel old some days ...........