Exam modifications for T1

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm due to sit a series of post-grad exams in June over 2 days in one of the medical colleges.
I've just been recently diagnosed. I have no idea how my BG will react to exam stress.
I believe that certain exam adjustments can be made such as allowing time for BG testing, eating to keep BG up and to correct a hypo, and pausing an exam if BG is too low (similar to DVLA requirements).
If anyone has arranged this for an exam they have taken could you let me know how you went about it? Did you just write and say what adjustments you felt were reasonable? Or did you have to get a Drs or hospital letter requesting adjustments?
I've been asked to arrange this now as the timetable is being put together for the end of the month.

Any help appreciated!

Kat

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@katmc46 Presumably your university has some kind of Disability Liaison Service? You need to speak to them, and they will normally want some kind of proof of diagnosis, a letter from a doctor or similar. Depending on the university, this might be different from university to university, but for me I then had a meeting with an advisor and we had a chat about my diabetes, and then he made some recommendations - basically rest breaks for blood testing, pausing if hypo - which I was then shown before it was sent to my department and exams office.

Feel free to DM me if you have any more questions that I might be able to answer.

Good luck with your exams!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience of taking exams was that having taken normal insulin and meal beforehand, my BS would rise 2 or 3 mml more than usual (which I always put down to stress). However, once the exam started and I began writing and thinking, it dropped steadily. By the end of a 3 hr paper, it would always be at the lower end of the normal range and I would need something to eat. It's generally acknowledged that stress sends your BS levels up, like anything else that may cause anxiety, such as any sort of medical procedure in hospital, some tests, surgery etc. As soon as the cause of the stress is over, it is likely to drop again.

Good luck with your exams.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm due to sit a series of post-grad exams in June over 2 days in one of the medical colleges.
I've just been recently diagnosed. I have no idea how my BG will react to exam stress.
I believe that certain exam adjustments can be made such as allowing time for BG testing, eating to keep BG up and to correct a hypo, and pausing an exam if BG is too low (similar to DVLA requirements).
If anyone has arranged this for an exam they have taken could you let me know how you went about it? Did you just write and say what adjustments you felt were reasonable? Or did you have to get a Drs or hospital letter requesting adjustments?
I've been asked to arrange this now as the timetable is being put together for the end of the month.

Any help appreciated!

Kat
Hello! Get in touch with the disability services at uni. They'll give you allowance to bring a bg meter and snacks into the exam and often 25% extra time in case you do have a hypo. They will probably send you for an assessment which is basically a half hour chat about your diabetes. You are also entitled to DSA if you're still a student. It's pretty straightforward once you get to the right department and well worth doing.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly not a university exam so no internal service available. There is an equality policy but it relies on providing them with information so they can decide if it's appropriate or not. I'll email and see what sort of information they need and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks all for the advice!

Reactions: Ultramum

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you a dentist @katmcd or have I mis-remembered? If you're in one, it could be worth getting in touch with your MDO, they might have some advice on adjustments and how to get them, or they might be able to have a look into it for you.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sadly not a university exam so no internal service available. There is an equality policy but it relies on providing them with information so they can decide if it's appropriate or not. I'll email and see what sort of information they need and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks all for the advice!

Dropping the words 'reasonable adjustments in relation to your disability' into your request letter may have the desired reaction ...

Reactions: EllsKBells