Exams and Control .

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't like it when people judge a book by its cover - like my illness is hidden so don't judge so quickly.
Hi ,
I'm in my GCSE year and my exams start next week . My blood sugars have been on the higher side since my mock exams started . I have seen my consultant since then and have made some adjustments which seemed to have made a difference but i'm worried that my stress levels etc will make my bloods increase again . I'm a super sensitive diabetic to emotions !
Is there any tips or advice anyone could give on how to control diabetes better during this stressful time ?
Is there any advice on what things to eat or do in preparation during the exams?
Thanks ,
Caitlin x :)

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes i was wondering the same thing also. Are you taking any special arrangements such as taking your meter or allowing time out if you go low? Also for the whole of exam period im putting on a libre maybe its a good idea for you to do the same so you can monitor your bg all the time without pricking?

Reactions: t1caitlin

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

While I would hope this is intended to be humour suggesting whiskey to a 16 year old seeking advice on diabetic management on an Internet forum, where you cannot ensure to "joke" of your message is conveyed in the delivery, is, at best, unwise.

How to you manage your diabetes @t1caitlin ? Do you pump? If so you could look at using an increased temporary basal rate for stressful days, or set an exam day basal rate. You'd have to do it cautiously because there's no guarantee you'll be stressed (it's possible, it might all go smoothly and you'll be super calm) or that the exam stress will increase blood sugar. If you're on mdi what kind of basal are you on?

JDRF has good information on diabetic preparations for exams - making sure you have access to monitors, hypo treatments etc - https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/school-and-university/exams/

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @t1caitlin . Not sure I can offer good advice. At 50+ exams are a long distant memory.
However experience has taught me the need to prioritise. Diabetes is important but I never let it have number one spot in life.
You have your exams, make that your priority. Allocate a set amount of time each day for all things diabetic, injections,testing and food. Then put it to one side, you can only control diabetes going forward, if today hasn't gone quite right so be it, aim to change and improve tomorrow. Between now and tomorrow focus on your exams, exams are short term. Diabetes is for life, personally a few weeks/ months with not perfect control would suffice if I achieved a greater goal. Providing your control doesn't go off the scale then you'll be back on track in no time and with whatever qualifications you achieve.
You first ( exams, achievement, happiness) Diabetes second.
Good luck and chill out a bit.

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't like it when people judge a book by its cover - like my illness is hidden so don't judge so quickly.
yes i was wondering the same thing also. Are you taking any special arrangements such as taking your meter or allowing time out if you go low? Also for the whole of exam period im putting on a libre maybe its a good idea for you to do the same so you can monitor your bg all the time without pricking?
Thank you . i am allowed to take my monitor and equipment in to the exam in my clear pencil case . Im not sure about taking time out for lows so i will ask my exam manager about that .

t1caitlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
While I would hope this is intended to be humour suggesting whiskey to a 16 year old seeking advice on diabetic management on an Internet forum, where you cannot ensure to "joke" of your message is conveyed in the delivery, is, at best, unwise.

How to you manage your diabetes @t1caitlin ? Do you pump? If so you could look at using an increased temporary basal rate for stressful days, or set an exam day basal rate. You'd have to do it cautiously because there's no guarantee you'll be stressed (it's possible, it might all go smoothly and you'll be super calm) or that the exam stress will increase blood sugar. If you're on mdi what kind of basal are you on?

JDRF has good information on diabetic preparations for exams - making sure you have access to monitors, hypo treatments etc - https://jdrf.org.uk/living-with-type-1/everyday-life/school-and-university/exams/
Thank you for your advice and help . I am on multiple injections a day so i have to take that into consideration . Unfortunately my current glucose monitor doesn't have a stress adjustment like my old monitor did. I will check out the website for more tips . Thanks .

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for your advice and help . I am on multiple injections a day so i have to take that into consideration . Unfortunately my current glucose monitor doesn't have a stress adjustment like my old monitor did. I will check out the website for more tips . Thanks .

Best of luck with your GCSE's @t1caitlin!! I wasn't diagnosed with T1 until just before University. During exams I had my meter, pens, some dextrose tablets and some lucozade with me. Just like you, I had told exam managers etc. so everyone knew. I always tested as soon as I went in the room before exam started to see where I was and reassure me I wasn't hypo and then would put it to the back of my mind and get on with my exam. I think I only alerted adjudicator twice, once when I was mildly hypo after I had felt a bit wobbly and checked - took a few sips of lucozade and carried on - and the other when I'd gone high and needed the loo and some more water to drink.

The staff at your school will want the very best from all their students and will do all they can to help you achieve that. If in doubt and not feeling great, let them know ASAP.

Lots of deep breathing helped me too as feeling anxious/stressed always does weird and wonderful things to my blood sugars.

Hope this is some help to you. Good luck!!

Reactions: EllieM