Excellent HBA1C -Thank you DCUK

Sloan973

Re: Excellent HBA1C -Thank you DCUK

Hi everyone
I was diagnosed last April with a bg of around 13 and a subsequent Hbac1 of around 9, and cholestorol of 6.9
Just got results of my annual blood test. Fasting BG was 5.2, hbac1 was 32 (5.1%) and cholestorol was 3.7.
I have been on metmorphin 3x500mg per day, but most of that improvement is due to my 6 stone weight loss, increased excercise and low carb diet. Thank god for this site, because I would never have done it by listening to the advice of the NHS alone. Thank you all for your advice!
Eddie

Reactions: 4 people

armi

:) [/quote]
Lolagirl said:
I was diagnosed 31.12.12 with a HBA1C of 9.6 and with very little support from the NHS. I couldnt tolerate Metformin so had to stop taking it.

I was very grateful to have found this forum and follwed advice on low carb diets.

Just had my three month review and have a HBA1C of 5.8.

I am amazed and so is the nurse and she wanted to know how I had achieved such a good result without taking my meds. Told her I was following a low carb diet and she advised me to continue.

Thank you Diabetes.co.uk - You have changed my life for the better.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

rvrao

Lolagirl said:
I was diagnosed 31.12.12 with a HBA1C of 9.6 and with very little support from the NHS. I couldnt tolerate Metformin so had to stop taking it.

I was very grateful to have found this forum and follwed advice on low carb diets.

Just had my three month review and have a HBA1C of 5.8.

I am amazed and so is the nurse and she wanted to know how I had achieved such a good result without taking my meds. Told her I was following a low carb diet and she advised me to continue.

Thank you Diabetes.co.uk - You have changed my life for the better.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ericthwaite

low carb diets are the way forward and helps in so many ways - i was taught / told by nhs how to count barbs and eat as normal this is not the best way of living with diabetes and the DIANA course on diagnosis should advise on low carb diets for those who can

your story is good news and well done and keep it up ;-)

murrinmac

Hi
I was diagnosed in April 2013 with a mmllevel of 24. Had a lot of stress as well as overweight. My HbA1c wasn't too good in July being 11. I hadn't got my eating right and there's was still a lot of stress in my life. My life saver was a BS meter which I bought myself, I moderated my eating I don't eat sweets or bread, I do eat bra flakes and fruit and much smaller portions at meals. I limit carbs but still eat normal food but better controlled. For me it was all about portion control. My last HbA1c was the beginning of October, I got it down to 6.7 after being told By the DN that I was unlikely to get my diabetes under control. I am type 2 and take meteor in and gliclazide. My DN was amazed, I have also lost 2 stone just through portion control. My daily BS readings are all within normal range. I'm not saying it is easy. I do crave sweets and chocolate, cakes etc. odd occasions I may have a meal out as a treat but it hasn't tipped my BS over norm as I alter what I eat to accommodate. I still have a lot of stressn my life and suffer with depression but am determined to be in control of my diabetes. Without Diabetes Uk site and their newsletters I wouldn't have knownor been more aware of what I needed to do.

murrinmac

Take no notice of my spelling errors meant to say metformin put blasted predicted txt on iPad is a nuisance lol

Reactions: 2 people

mbrewer

Lola, congratulation. I would like to read information about the low carbs you use? I am now on 500mg of metformin twice daily and wish to come of it and reduce my readings especially as I had control for 6 years without medication. Any help appreciated as I am now finding it all confusing.
Maureen B.

Lillierose

I would like to ask do you think if you cut your potion size in half that cuts your BS? Except non carb foods of course. I find it works for me. Does anyone else do the same?

tgchand1

I am T2 for 11 years. HbA1C was always between 7.3 to 7.8. In Jan.13 it went up to 8.6. By reducing Carb as much as I can it came down to 6.6 in Nov. No other changes - life style or medication. BMI came down from 25 to 22.9.
I find the term "low carb. diet" is misleading. May be wrong, but what I understand is each gram of carb is 4 calories and for non diabetic half the calories should be from carbs. So I decide how many calories I can have without increasing weight and plan for 30 to 40% of calories from Carbs.
Confused about a glass of wine as well - 90 calories or so should be counted as carb? or some thing different - Carbohydrate by difference ?
Comments and info welcome
TGC

gtokhi

I am T2 and was on 500mg Metformin once a day but about 3 months ago I was put on twice daily because of the HbA1c creeping up to 7. Since then I have reduced my carb intake and am also more physically active - 5-6km moderate paced walk 4-5 times a week. My HbA1c is now down to 6.2 and fasting glucose is 5.3mmol/l. However during this time I have lost about 7kg and now weigh only 48kg! I never was obese and my T2 is due to genetics. I now look rather gaunt and would like to gain some healthy weight. Any advice on this please.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Well done Lolagirl! Brilliant!

Have you see this everyone - very helpful conversion table: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/downloads/infographics/50shades.png

I am now 24 months into my own diabetes journey, have reversed my diabetes, and now eat (almost) everything in moderation. My lowest HbA1c was during the strict Newcastle diet (4.5/26) and now that I eat normally I have just had my annual test and it was 4.9/30. Cholesterol 4.8, HDL 2.0, LDL 2.5, Triglycerides 0.8. In Scotland we can register for something called MyDiabetesMyWay (through the GP) and all our results are loaded there and we can check for ourselves and see any changes. Very useful!

My weight loss has been maintained and I still run between 5-8 k almost every day. My GP told me not to do this every day as apparently muscles need time to recover, so on days I don't run I make sure I walk even further.

This forum has been great for me - I have learned so much about diabetes and have used much of the advice I have read to get my own situation sorted out. I have never taken medication, though I still battle with the GP re. statins. He talks about risk factors and alarms me so I keep taking them!

So, now my life is one of maintenance.

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

I would like to ask do you think if you cut your potion size in half that cuts your BS? Except non carb foods of course. I find it works for me. Does anyone else do the same?
Yes indeed

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging

Hi everyone
I was diagnosed last April with a bg of around 13 and a subsequent Hbac1 of around 9, and cholestorol of 6.9
Just got results of my annual blood test. Fasting BG was 5.2, hbac1 was 32 (5.1%) and cholestorol was 3.7.
I have been on metmorphin 3x500mg per day, but most of that improvement is due to my 6 stone weight loss, increased excercise and low carb diet. Thank god for this site, because I would never have done it by listening to the advice of the NHS alone. Thank you all for your advice!
Eddie
Very well done congratulations on your road to recovery long may it continue