Type 1 Excuse my ignorance but .......

Henwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
a little concerned about my cousin who assures me she 'can eat absolutely anything' as long as she exercises appropriately. She does seem well controlled but are there any long term implications in this approach?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In theory, yes that is true. Practically speaking, no.

"I can eat anything I want as long as I give myself insulin" is the line most of us with type 1 use, and I'm guilty of using it myself. The only time I say it is when someone makes an ignorant comment about how I can't eat something because I'm a diabetic.

In all honesty, we can't eat whatever we want because no one is THAT good at managing their insulin (or at least the insulins that are available on the market currently).

Sure, I can eat a big slice of cake or a big bowl of ice cream, but I'm going to be paying for it the rest of the day and possibly the day after. There are rare occasions that I do enjoy those things, but I couldn't enjoy them every single day and expect to have a respectable a1c.

In short: No, she can't eat whatever she wants. It's something most T1s don't want to admit, but it's the truth.

Henwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
In theory, yes that is true. Practically speaking, no.

"I can eat anything I want as long as I give myself insulin" is the line most of us with type 1 use, and I'm guilty of using it myself. The only time I say it is when someone makes an ignorant comment about how I can't eat something because I'm a diabetic.

In all honesty, we can't eat whatever we want because no one is THAT good at managing their insulin (or at least the insulins that are available on the market currently).

Sure, I can eat a big slice of cake or a big bowl of ice cream, but I'm going to be paying for it the rest of the day and possibly the day after. There are rare occasions that I do enjoy those things, but I couldn't enjoy them every single day and expect to have a respectable a1c.

In short: No, she can't eat whatever she wants. It's something most T1s don't want to admit, but it's the truth.

Thanks. Your reply makes far more sense than her doctor who assures here it's ok to eat what she wants. I am T2 with normal levels now but know if I stray back high carbs I soon know about it. Thanks for the response.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
a little concerned about my cousin who assures me she 'can eat absolutely anything' as long as she exercises appropriately. She does seem well controlled but are there any long term implications in this approach?

Certainly exercising is a good way of reducing bg levels, if I eat a heavy carb meal and exercise soon after I can get away with reducing the insulin dose by 50%.

As to implications, like non-diabetics we need to keep to a healthy diet so it's best to keep treats and excessive food consumption to a minimum.

Reactions: 2 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh! How I would love to be able to eat 'absolutely anything'!

I can eat most foods that don't contain sugar or stuff that is not carbohydrate loaded. Even a small amount of the batter on Fish and Chip shop fish will send my blood sugar high for hours. And, on the rare occasion that I do order a sweet dessert in a restaurant, I always regret it because I find it difficult to estimate how much insulin to inject to cover it. Thereafter follows frequent testing and correction injections as needed.

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can eat anything I like, my bs doesn't go skyhigh, the most it ever gets to is around 15 after a carb heavy meal (around 80 grams) I don't eat a massive amount of carbs each day though , I also exercise every day and stand at my desk when I'm at work.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's because of judgemental comments like the one above that I rarely use this forum anymore, which is a real shame because there are actually some people on here who can be very helpful and considerate.
Aside from people who think they have the right to judge how others choose to manage their condition....
Diabetes is different for everyone, particularly in the early days. Some people have great success managing their condition with exercise, others don't. The fact is, it's your cousins choice how she chooses to manage her condition. If her HBA1C is good and she isn't experiencing massive highs and lows then good for her. There is no hard and fast way to manage this condition, beyond taking insulin, and it varies greatly from person to person as to what works. The best thing you can do is be supportive, not judgemental (something that a few people on this forum should take note of...!)

Reactions: 9 people
If she is well controlled then that is what is important and as she is exercising as well that is even better. So whatever she is doing is working for her. Be supportive to her.

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's because of judgemental comments like the one above that I rarely use this forum anymore, which is a real shame because there are actually some people on here who can be very helpful and considerate.
Aside from people who think they have the right to judge how others choose to manage their condition....
Diabetes is different for everyone, particularly in the early days. Some people have great success managing their condition with exercise, others don't. The fact is, it's your cousins choice how she chooses to manage her condition. If her HBA1C is good and she isn't experiencing massive highs and lows then good for her. There is no hard and fast way to manage this condition, beyond taking insulin, and it varies greatly from person to person as to what works. The best thing you can do is be supportive, not judgemental (something that a few people on this forum should take note of...!)
This is a thread about whether or not people with type 1 can eat whatever they want.

Now, my comment was largely opinion, but it is also supported by just about every countries' guidelines on what is considered a "Safe" a1c level and what is not. Furthermore, very few physicians would consider a 15 mmol/L acceptable.

You may not agree with my approach to helping people, but what I said was what was needed to be heard.

I consider the context of every situation before I post. You will NEVER hear me make a similar comment to someone who is asking for help and/or admits they're struggling to manage this disease. However, when someone says "I can eat anything I like" and their results suggest otherwise....they DESERVE to know.

Reactions: 3 people

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's debatable based on what you've shared on this forum.[/
thanks for your comments. My latest hba1c yesterday was 6 , I did struggle at first, but have only been diabetic for 18 months. I have good control and am able to eat what I like. My bs is around 5 to 8 3 or 4 hours after a meal. I was merely stating that I stand at my desk and so move around all day and I exercise. I actually ride my horse to exercise my dn rides with me on her horse. And I walk a couple of miles each day in my lunch hour.

Reactions: 4 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for your comments. My latest hba1c yesterday was 6 , I did struggle at first, but have only been diabetic for 18 months. I have good control and am able to eat what I like. My bs is around 5 to 8 3 or 4 hours after a meal. I was merely stating that I stand at my desk and so move around all day and I exercise. I actually ride my horse to exercise my dn rides with me on her horse. And I walk a couple of miles each day in my lunch hour.
Then perhaps you can eat what you want. I stand corrected and apologize. Congratulations on the 6.0 that's wonderful.

Again, my intention is never to hurt someone or make them feel bad, but as I mentioned "Based on what you've shared on this forum" I understood you had an a1c of 8.0 and were eating whatever you wanted. With that in mind, hopefully you understand why I said what I did thinking you were okay with an a1c that high.

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i eat what i like when i like, but im trying to stop it ;p
im on a pump now though so i can use multi waves to its advantage best of times.

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I said I have only been diabetic for around 18 months, my hba1c has dropped each time it is tested. (3 monthly) it was 13 when I was admitted to hospital with dka when I became diabetic. I am pleased with my result as is my consultant and dn.