Exercise And Blood Sugar

LornaFarrell

How long after exercise would you expect to see a drop in blood sugar?

I’m fairly recently diagnosed and getting the hang of carb counting, adjusting my insulin dose etc.

This morning I decided to risk a bit of gentle exercise (I’d been nervous of throwing that into the mix!) and went swimming. I tested when I got out of the pool at 9am and all was fine. Went home, ate the same things I usually have (30g carbs) and had insulin as usual. Then when I tested at lunchtime my reading was 3.3! Could a little bit of gentle exercise have that effect over 4 hours later? I wouldn’t have thought so but I can’t see what else caused the hypo.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long after exercise would you expect to see a drop in blood sugar?

I’m fairly recently diagnosed and getting the hang of carb counting, adjusting my insulin dose etc.

This morning I decided to risk a bit of gentle exercise (I’d been nervous of throwing that into the mix!) and went swimming. I tested when I got out of the pool at 9am and all was fine. Went home, ate the same things I usually have (30g carbs) and had insulin as usual. Then when I tested at lunchtime my reading was 3.3! Could a little bit of gentle exercise have that effect over 4 hours later? I wouldn’t have thought so but I can’t see what else caused the hypo.
Exercising allows the muscles to open for glucose for up to 6 hours if I recall properly. It is advised for us diabetics to eat a small snack before exercise to avoid a hypo or simply reduce insulin. Personally, I can reduce morning bolus by 3 units if I am active. Some need to look at their basal. But as a step one I believe you should reduce bolus.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to opposite problem. It raises me hours later especially anything cardio like. Short burst of Pilates lowers me.
Last night did some dancing and all was well at bedtime but I woke up with an eye opening fasting.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends on what type of exercise you do. Weight training will increase the glucose levels as the body releases more glucose for muscles to use. HIIT and the like will cause it to drop. You need to be careful what it is you are doing, as eating before and then doing weight lifting will cause glucose levels to be quite high.

Reactions: Sparkle1953