mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Firstly, this is my first post so sorry if my question has been asked many times. I am 46 yr old male, diagnosed yesterday morning with diabetes. Still not 100% sure if type 2 or late onset type 1 although the doc guessed probably type 2. I am currently in the Fire Service which is a concern too. My blood yesterday morning was 20. Last night it shot up to 28.5. Today it's 18. I don't really understand these figures. I still feel really lethargic and my vision is quite blurred. I hope these are normal symptoms ? I am a keen indoor rower and want to exercise. Would you exercise at minute or wait til sugar is more normal ? Thanks for any advise in advance.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would wait until your levels have stabilised before embarking on any exercise, lethargy and blurred vision are classic symptoms of high bg and once you've lowered your bg things should soon settle down.

Hopefully Daisy will be along soon with the advice given to new members of the forum.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks for prompt reply noblehead. I thought as much. My head wants to exercise but my body may not be so keen lol ! Is 29.5 very high ? Nothing to guage it with really. Back to see nurse tomorrow so maybe will know more then.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Mo and welcome to the forum :)

This is the information for new members which Noblehead mentioned. I hope you find it useful. Carry on asking questions as there is always someone who will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks Daisy ! Great to know there is advice out there when required. Sometimes the docs can seem quite hurried and abrupt and I go away with many questions unanswered.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Just took my bloods and my monitor isn't showing a reading, just says Hi. I looked in instructions and it means that it's over 33.3. Should I be concerned ? I was only diagnosed 3 days ago. Started statins today as well. Thanks

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry nobody has answered your post. I hope by now you have been seen by a medical professional? When your BG meter reads "HI", the manual's instruction is usually to seek urgent medical assistance.

I hope you will come back and let us know how you're doing.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks Indy. Only just received your reply with thanks. I have not seen a doc as yet. Slept last night and felt OK. My fasting test this morning was 21.6, just out of bed. I still feel the same as I have for days though. No worse, blurred vision & weak. That's what concerns me about making a fuss and seeing a doc today. I have another appt Tues. Is this normal in the very early stages ? My guess is I'm being treated for type 2 but may be type 1. I'm 46 yrs old BTW. Thanks again, wish there was a phone number or something for immediate advice. My wife is more concerned than myself lol !

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not in the UK, but I have seen other posters mention the NHS Direct line?

Do you have access to ketone testing strips - either urine or blood strips (if your meter is a dual BG/ketone one)? If you are suspected Type 1, ketones plus high blood glucose can be quite dangerous, so maybe get ketostix from the chemist and test?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'll try calling NHS later. Nice idea. I only have Blood Glucose strips I think ? I'll post later how I get on. Many thanks for your swift replies, have a lovely day ! Maurice

carlos37

yes agree with above post if you are worried u can go to a and e they will check you there and then as that is very high dont leave it like i did for over a year i thought i was type 2 and was re diagnosed type 1 have been of work now for 1 month as i left it thinking didnt want to bother anyone as its better to get it sorted

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Carlos,

There is another poster having similar issues to yours - and I posted a link to your experiences for him. If you get a chance, please read his post here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=36266

Best wishes,

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Just called NHS Direct and they were not overly concerned with my high readings as my meds are still in the early stages. I don't actually feel really ill. My main concern was high BG readings but unless they are accompanied by other signs/symptoms then they said not to worry and wait to see nurse. This has made us feel a little better. Is it normal for consistent high readings in the very early stages ? Last night was over 33.3 ( max reading Hi on glucose checker ). Most evenings late 20's. First thing in morning before food is approx 18. This morning was 20.6. Still learning all the time. Sometimes, the more you Google, the worse things seem !

bjy80

I would be going to a hospital... If u were that severe am suprised they didnt admit u at diagnosis? you said you were feeling tired and with blurred vision?
Hope you are ok?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks. It's difficult to know what to do for the best. Most advice here is seek professional advice etc but the advice I get is sort of "don't worry". I can handle the diabetes but my wife worries a lot. Would you just go to a hospital or wait til my nurse appt on Tues ? Considering NHS Direct said not to worry ! Thanks for all replies so far.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Sorry to hear you are struggling with high figures, I know the feeling well.

Can I ask what you are eating? If you are still eating stuff like cereals, bread, rice, pasta and generally things that have a high carbohydrate content your tablets won't bring your levels down hardly.

If you measure your reading before your meal and then 2 hours after and tell us all the details we can maybe advise you a bit more and it could give some indication as to whether you are type 1 or 2. I got to the stage where even a bit of lettuce and cucumber would send my levels ever higher without returning down even on full medication. Once tested at the hospital they declared I was a type 1 after 18 months of being seemingly a 'type 2'.

If you start to feel sick or sweaty and generally poorly please seek medical assistance.

Best wishes
Angie

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks Angie, will do. I asked about diet to the nurse and she just said eat as normal but reduce portions. I've completely cut out sugary drinks etc and very little carbs. For breakfast I am having Cinnamom Oats So Simple. Last 2 days have been a granary roll for lunch. Last night I had fish and baked beans. I appreciate I am in the very early stages but I think my diet has been so much better than normal. I did work-out yesterday so maybe that didn't help but was only 20 mins or so at low intensity. Such a frustrating feeling really. My readings say I should go to hospital but apart from the usual blurred vision and lethargy I actually feel OK. Weird !

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
You feel 'ok' probably because your body has got used to running at the high levels (you may have been running quite high for a while before diagnosis, I know I was when I think back on some of the symptoms that I finally got rid of when my levels went back down).

Many of us cannot tolerate oats, they spike us high. The sachet instant ones are the worst too as they are chopped up fine to cook quick and so are digested quickly. Big jumbo oat flakes are better if you must eat porridge. Many folks find a few berries (strawberries, blueberries etc) and a bit of greek yogurt (Total and Tesco I like) or plain yogurt (Onken is very low carb) is a good breakfast. It stops the roller coaster of a high peak and then a fast decline into low figures that cereals tend to create in many folks. Maybe give this a try if you can and see if it makes any difference.

Rolls of any nature have about 30g of carbs in then (I still struggle with them on insulin as they always seem to catch me out) so could you maybe try a cold meat salad instead to see if it helps? If I take a packed lunch for work I have a airtight pot and fill it with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and chunks of meat and a spoonful of a deli sandwich filler such as tuna mayo, egg mayo or whatever.

Fish is fine, but baked beans have carbs and sugar (unless you get the low sugar ones which are becoming more available) so watch how many you eat.

I know this may all sound very restrictive and harsh but experimenting is the name of the game. Read the labels, check your numbers and see what is affecting you, it will soon all make sense.

Keep asking questions and keep us informed as how you are getting on.
Regards
Angie

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks Ange, makes sense. I'll take your advice on board. I'll keep you updated. Enjoy your weekend and thanks again !