exercise and rapid BG drops

sailorj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been walking on the fells for the last 15 years, not a huge amount compared to many but enjoy a days walk on the lower cumbrian fell walks most weekends. In the last 2 months when out I have been having problems with rapid Bg drops. My norm is 5-6 am and before meals and 6-7.5 +2 after most meals.

The first time was scary, having had a snack (nuts and raisins) after 1 hour of mostly up hill walking (BG dropped from 8.2 +1 after breakfast to 4.8). An hour later (contouring the hill) we stopped for lunch (BG 5.6) included more carbs than usual - a small banana. One hour later & going up again, I was stumbling, finding it hard to focus, nauseaus and finding it hard to focus on where I was going, BG was 4.2. At this point it was a 2 hour walk to the car or nearest cafe/help. We stopped and I had some chocolate (we were running out of carbs now!) and it took me 3+ hours to get to the car as I struggled to walk at anything other than a really slow faltering pace and had hourly nuts, raisins or ceral bars as the BG was constanly 4.2-5.0. Back at the car hubby was hungry as I'd had his rations! :lol: I slept for 3 hours and the BG was below 6.0 all evening even at dinner +2.

I have had other similar occasions and so far have been OK but now check the BGs hourly on longer and harder walks. :? I've tried varying the amount of breakfast carbs and ruled out time of day, length of activity in distance and time taken, weather and temperature, amount of water drunk, I've tried eating stuff other than carbs but then tend to be worse and I have no other health problems. I am diet controlled and hbla's 5.6 in feb.

Ok so I know exercise can drop BG's but Exercise is good for me and I enjoy it. :D
I always have nuts, raisins & cereal bars and himself has the banana and chocolate rations, on top of lunch so prepared for anything adverse. We also carry a litre of water each as I tend to drink 2-3 litres a day normally (not related to polydipsia or polyuria).

Apart from getting paranoid about fell walking, I'm putting on weight (4lbs in 2 months) as I am back to munching on more carbs at the weekend and struggling now to shift it again.

Any advice on how to prevent or manage these events would be gratefully recieved as we wanted to do some of the higher peaks this year and I am concerned about managing them only from a diabetes factor.

Thanks

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
One thing that I noticed is that you were trying to get immediate increase in blood sugar from sources of carbs that are slow in converting to glucose. Glucose tablets or a drink like lucozade should increase your blood sugars more quickly. You might want to chat with your health care professional, however, as you are not on any diabetes medications that would usually cause you to have a hypo.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
There is no need for a higher blood sugar but if symptoms of a hypo are being experienced then that needs to be dealt with.

Doug